Moving mouse causes lag and static noise

For reference, I have a Lenovo Y510P IdeaPad laptop. I can list additional specs if needed although I'm not sure if it's necessary or not.

Anyways, so I've always been using a wireless USB mouse with my laptop and I've had no problems with it, up until a few days ago.

I was using a simple Logitech wireless USB mouse, the kind that was no more than $20 USD. Well about a week ago, I found out the battery was dying and I had to replace them, but I waited a few days until I noticed a weird "lag" in my movements of the mouse. Sometimes the mouse would occasionally lag behind my movements - say if I move my mouse in rapid movements, it would show onscreen of much slower movements. So, I replaced the battery and reset the mouse. To no success, I still had the same issue, except I realized I was unable to move the mouse while streaming YouTube videos or playing games or it would cause severe lag on both the slower mouse movements and either the YouTube video would stutter/lag, or the game would lag, also causing this static-y sound to appear whenever it was lagging behind.

So earlier today I picked up a new wireless mouse, this time a Microsoft one for about $15 USD. Let me just say that I have never had issues where I had to replace a mouse, except maybe once every 6 months to a year for other minor reasons. So, I installed a new battery, installed the new mouse into the laptop, and I am still getting the same issues.

Sorry if this is long, but I am not extremely tech savvy in this wireless mouse department lol. I have looked all over the Internet and couldn't find anything that fixed the solution for me.

I have Windows 8.1 by the way. Also, if it matters, I recently installed Norton 360 Security after my subscription was close to ending, and I also installed an older version of Direct X as well as install CCleaner. I don't think these problems affected this, but still.
I also scanned my laptop for viruses and I am told by Norton that I do not have any viruses or anything.

Finally, I tried to go into Device Manager and uninstall the USB wireless mouse drivers and reinstalled them to no luck. The only temporary solution I have as of now is to take out the USB for five seconds and put it back in, but that solution only works for about 5 minutes until it goes back to normal.

Also, if anyone knows any solutions, try to make a step by step process or something because I have trouble finding certain things on my computer as it is lol. Thanks in advance.

My fairly new Acer R14 has the exact same problem and can't find a solution anywhere. I'm using both a USB mouse and keyboard (not wireless), and I also happened to fix it momentarily by unplugging them.

Some guy fixed a similar problem by taking off the microphone boost.
Got to Control Panel > Sound > Recording > Properties > Levels > Microphone Boost.
Maybe you'll have better luck than me.

I'm a noob with computers so I don't know if this matters but I downloaded a game that runs on DirectX 9, to which I understand the computer already comes with DirectX, but I don't know if it downloaded something extra for an older version. Also can't uninstall it.

Sorry for not being so helpful. :confused:

I just turned off microphone boost and no suck luck unfortunately. :(
I went to Best Buy and asked them, but they kept referring me to Geek Squad and I'd rather not pay over 200 dollars for a issue that isn't a hardware issue (at least I don't think it is).
I hope we will find solutions soon, it could always be worse but this is just an annoying problem to have. :p

I was having the same issue unplugging the usb temporarily fixed it. I restored the system to prior the update and it seems to be ok now.

So a couple of days ago my anti-virus expired so I downloaded AVG. I restored the system and it recommended to restore it prior to downloading AVG and AVG-WebTuneUp, so I was like "why not" I can just restore further back to my latest update after it if anything. Somehow getting rid of AVG fixed the problem, I only say this because I've played music for about 2 hours straight and haven't had any static at all. I don't know if I should but I'm going to download AVG again without AVG-WebTuneUp just to make sure if that was the problem.

I have the exact same problem!
It happend when I installed the new LoL patch 5.5, but I rather think it' a fault from Windows itself. When I repaired my system it was fixed, but then I had to do some updates and the mouse lags were back. I still don't have a solution yet, so if anyone have, would be awesome to share!

SrRasta and Joeriix, please do not hijack BasicHiccup's thread. You are free to watch the thread or to contribute to a solution but do not ask for help for your own problem in someone else's thread. Watching this thread might solve your problem but if it doesn't you may want to consider starting your own thread.

Back