TechSpot

Mozilla finally releases Firefox 3.5

By Jos
Jun 30, 2009
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Following several test versions and on the very last day of its self imposed deadline, Mozilla has finally released Firefox 3.5 to the world. Originally dubbed 3.1, the new version brings a private browsing mode, support for emerging HTML 5 standards, location-aware browsing, a reduced memory footprint, updated anti-malware and anti-phishing features, improved tabs and more. The most notable new feature, however, is the TraceMonkey JavaScript engine which offers substantial speed improvements over previous releases.

Read the whole story

2. Stonos

Stonos TS Rookie Posts: 29

Sorry for being picky, but you're still using the old Firefox logo for the article's image :p

Here's the new one: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/d/d8/Firefox_3.5_logo.png :p

3. viperpfl

viperpfl TS Member Posts: 40

Downloaded Firefox 3.5 and already had my first crash :D Upgraded from the previous version but it don't seem faster. I like what they done with the tabs though I am use to doing the CNTL-T

4. 9Nails

9Nails TechSpot Paladin Posts: 975   +87

I like my plug-ins in the previous version. I'll hold back on upgrading until they are all updated for this new release. That is, unless someone or some review shows me a "gotta have" feature in FF 3.5 that encourages me to update before the plug-in updates are available.

5. It takes 70MB just to start up firefox and they are talking of "low memory footprint" ?!?!

6. dustin_ds3000

dustin_ds3000 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,128

its only 25MB to start on my computer and i have the ABP ad blocker plug-in too

7. tipstir

tipstir TS Ambassador Posts: 4,664   +86

Seems steady-Eddie to me..

8. T77

T77 TS Enthusiast Posts: 315

the older version took significant time to boot up. opera is much faster in booting up(almost instantly)

9. Rick

Rick TechSpot Staff Posts: 6,304   +52 Staff Member

It takes 70MB to load up firefox AND render a website, you mean... much like just about every other web browser.

10. Serag

Serag TS Enthusiast Posts: 179

Guys, Is there anyway to get Awesome Bar back ?
    I mean being able to see 10 most visited bookmarks by pressing down on the Location bar...

11. Firefox hasn't crashed for me in years. Literally. Obviously this is user error, especially considering you spell it "CNTL." Nobody spells it that way. Look at your keyboard. Notice how it's spelled "CTRL?" Yeah. Welcome to technology.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.