Mozilla releases last version of Firefox 3.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jos

Staff

Less than two years after its launch, Mozilla has marked the end of the road for the 3.0.x branch of Firefox with one last security update patching several vulnerabilities. Among the fixes in Firefox 3.0.19 are five that Mozilla identifies as being "critical," four of which it also fixed in Firefox 3.6.2, and another one considered "high" risk.

Among them is a fix for crashes with evidence of memory corruption, as well as a remote code execution issue whereby XUL item memory is still being used even after it is freed by the browser. There are also fixes for a privilege escalation issue, and a pair of "dangling pointer vulnerabilities", which occur when a pointer is left alive when it was supposed to be closed by the browser. The flaws could potentially have enabled attackers to execute arbitrary code.

These updates are available from the Mozilla Firefox website or by using the automatic update check in the browser. That said, if you're still using 3.0.x or 3.5.x versions, you might want to consider upgrading to the latest 3.6.x branch.

Permalink to story.

I've been a witness on the crashing issues with Firefox so I switched to Chrome... I wonder what's next for version 4...

While testing chrome on a netbook; i have similar crashing or hangup issues, however, on my desktop it didn't, therefore, I don't see anything specific to a browser in this; they all just need to keep improving thats about it. By the way FF is my primary browser, I also use Opera and IE alongside it almost on daily basis.

For any site that uses custom cursors, the custom cursors no longer work with the new Firefox. Not a biggie, but a bug none the less.

Found that with Firefox 3.0, it doesn't read chinese characters inputted from an tablet pad.

Minor complaints, but have used Firefox for years now and complain when forced to try IE7/8 because the sites do not support Firefox.

Wish one could highlight HTML in color when reading and then saving a frame.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back