TechSpot

Mozilla releases seventh Firefox 4 Beta

By Jos
Nov 11, 2010
Post New Reply
  1. Mozilla has announced the release of a new beta build for the long-time coming Firefox 4. Unlike the last couple beta releases which mostly just tweaked a few things here and there, this one actually brings along a couple of new features to get you excited. Most notably, it incorporates the JagerMonkey JIT compiler into the new SpiderMonkey engine, which will the browser a performance boost on script-heavy sites.

Read the whole story
  2. Decimae

Decimae TS Rookie Posts: 79

Looks cool. I hope it fixes my problem with youtube; I can't get youtube videos to play in FF, though I can in Chrome and that's what I use it for. Also, nice speed increase.

Edit: Yes, it works now. It also has some nice UI changes, and is noticably faster.

Edit 2: Ran an(unfair for firefox, since FF had 8 tabs open) sunspider test:
    Chrome
    381.6ms +/- 1.9%
    Firefox
    462.6ms +/- 17.1%
    I don't think anyone can complain about firefox being slow anymore.
  3. Cryptopsy

Cryptopsy TS Rookie Posts: 47

I'll surely test it soon. For sure there was place for improvement in the speed and usage % of older FF version.
  4. fpsgamerJR62

fpsgamerJR62 TS Rookie Posts: 489

I have Firefox 4.0 Beta 7 too. It indeed feels more responsive and websites do load much faster. I have Chrome and Opera installed too along with Internet Explorer 8. It's a lot of fun to see the different browsers update frequently and to see which one is the fastest to load a particular website.
  5. 7410xas

7410xas TS Rookie

making mozilla money 3 times faster!
  6. Yad

Yad TS Rookie Posts: 41

Upgraded from Beta 6 to Beta 7.
    Yeah it's faster :)
  7. ET3D

ET3D TechSpot Paladin Posts: 977   +31

I'm using Opera for now, but I plan to try Firefox again when it 4 is officially out. Tried to install Chrome but it just wouldn't run.
  8. 63Jax

63Jax TS Rookie Posts: 65

just release it already, i wanna see how gpu acceleration works in web browsing
  9. levar

levar TS Rookie Posts: 232

Just upgraded I'm really noticing the difference in version 7, JaegerMonkey JavaScript engine definitely took a step forward! And I'm loving the url bar thingy since they removed the status bar I was quite skeptical about clicking links so I like the whole url bar replacing the status bar kinda thing. Good job!

I'm really looking forward to the final release!
  10. gwailo247

gwailo247 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,105   +18

After reading this I loaded it up, and see a great improvement over 3.whatever that I was using before. Most of my plug ins work, except Faster Fox. Speed is as good as the IE 9 beta.

I hate to say it, but Chrome has sunk to #3 in my book.
  11. raventrickster

raventrickster TS Rookie Posts: 23

I'll have to update my VM and check that out. So far I've been waiting for the final release, or at least an RC build before I update my main computer, but I've enjoyed playing with the new version in my virtual machine.

12. Demons

Demons TS Rookie Posts: 52

If this is all true, I may have to switch back to FF. I have been using Chrome mostly in recent months. I think I will wait until the full release before I make my decision though. It's great to have all of the major browsers pushing for major speed improvements though.
  13. Breech

Breech TS Member Posts: 79

Well, I've been holding out for the final release but after reading this I had to try it. All I can say is wow, speed is way up over 3.6.12. Very responsive browser, even more so than IE9. I think people are going to be real happy with this one. It also puts FF right back up at the top in terms of speed, something that hasn't been the case for a while. Great job on this one Mozilla.
  14. Archean

Archean TechSpot Paladin Posts: 6,048   +75

I am unsure which is giving the other, run for their money (i.e. for being my next default browser) firefox to IE9, or IE9 to FFB ....... not a bad situation to be in I'd say :).

Both FF4Bs and IE9B has been rock solid for me, and performance gains from the previous version are significant. Incidentally IE9 has almost made opera redundant for me, so it may get the boot from system if the final product turned out to be true reincarnation of IE.
  15. Puiu

Puiu TS Addict Posts: 1,052   +95

I said i'll install beta 7 when available and here it is. and i really like it, it's 10 time more responsive than ff3.6.
    There were some compatibility problems with some add-ons but i installed beta versions of those add-ons and i also disabled the compatibility checking for others and made them work. People need to update those add-ons faster :D
  16. lawfer

lawfer TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,272   +90

I told ya'll. Chrome actually feels a bit slower compared to FF4. Who would have thought they could pull this off?

For those hesitating, try it, it's definitely faster.
  17. Serag

Serag TS Enthusiast Posts: 179

Been using Nightly builds as near-default browser for a while now, updating to every daily build and the speed and responsiveness is amazing even on my too-old laptop/PC, FF4 will be worth the wait :D

Side note: accidentally cleared cookies, glad to see TS make "Subscribe to thread" not checked by default :)
  18. Jibberish18

Jibberish18 TS Maniac Posts: 431   +8

Installed Firefox Beta 7 Plus Adobe Flash 64-Bit and so far everything seems stable. Believe it or not, more stable than the latest version of Chrome for OSX.All of my add-ons. It feels very snappy.
  19. speeedy6

speeedy6 TS Rookie Posts: 21

Um a little late are we. This has been out since Monday at least, just saying. I know because I've been using it since then.
  20. ChrisG683

ChrisG683 TS Rookie Posts: 41

I've also been defaulting the Minefield nightlies, and this browser kicks some serious *** :)
  21. zogo

zogo TS Rookie Posts: 53

How many Betas are going to release?! There's too much already!
  22. Why to use Limeware?.... There are many others!
  23. VitaminC

VitaminC TS Rookie Posts: 29

huzza!
    Can't wait for the stable version, i have an aversion to beta software. I really like firefox, and add ons such as zotero and the like, but i had found myself using chrome more often just for its responsiveness. Glad to know i can go back to using firefox 100% of the time.
  24. limpangel

limpangel TS Member Posts: 65

Tried it but has the same annoying problem since beta 5, when Direct2D Hardware Acceleration became default under Windows 7. The font rendering is not so smooth and looks blurry, making text hard to read. If anyone is affected by this then set gfx.direct2d.disabled to true in about:config to fix it. Hope this gets fixed in the final release.
    Other than that it works pretty smoothly. :)
  25. Chazz

Chazz TS Enthusiast Posts: 633   +60

I've been using the Firefox 4 beta since it was in alpha and called firefox 3.7 and I love the features that they're adding to the browser. I can't comment on this though...solely because I don't notice any difference. To me, browsers are very fast nowadays...I don't notice any speed improvements. Its sorta like going from 90 fps in a game to 130 fps. It's good I guess? Now just give me a bigger monitor so I can make the added horsepower work for me. That's why I got a 30" monitor and it makes me very interested in the upcoming changes in videocards.

So in short, perhaps Java can be used extensively now that browsers found their e-peen ruler?

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.