TechSpot

MPAA threatens Congress over SOPA, says blackout "abuse of power"

By Rick
Jan 24, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Former senator turned MPAA CEO, Christopher Dodd, managed to earn the public's ire this week by making remarks which many claim are akin to a public admission of bribery. A petition to investigate…

Read the whole story

2. Punch him.

3. H3llion

H3llion TechSpot Paladin Posts: 973   +99

That's how I feel right now looking at that old fool!

4. TomSEA

TomSEA TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,355   +402

Dodd is such a putz. How did anyone as arrogant and uneducated as he is get to be a Senator (the people of Connecticut should be embarrassed as hell for voting him in) and CEO of the MPAA?

5. Darth Shiv

Darth Shiv TS Evangelist Posts: 1,169   +176

Well he is right. His job is under pressure because the people want change in the industry. They want the model to change. And Chris, the customer is ALWAYS right. You want to keep trying to putty up your leaky, archaic business model, you can try. Someone in Hollywood may some day have the balls to give people what they want and they will succeed where you are so publicly failing.

Steam is proof that online distribution works and beats piracy.

6. madboyv1

madboyv1 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 957   +49

I think that was the point...?

7. I agreed I use steam to buy lots games they showed that online distribution works legally. Now if MPAA/RIAA could figure this out we be much better off.

8. Vrmithrax

Vrmithrax TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,286   +232

Sounds a lot like the reaction that the British had towards the Boston tea party... Funny that protest and demonstration in defense of basic liberties was part of the founding of America, yet when it doesn't suit corporate America, it's "abuse of power." And yet, the companies who are trying to institute changes to benefit themselves at the expense of the people (and potentially have a massive international impact as well) are abusing their own power and trying to buy off officials that were elected by the people.

I don't think there has been any clearer example of the pot calling the kettle black in recent memory.

9. ramonsterns

ramonsterns TS Enthusiast Posts: 752   +12

More like, Christofail Dud.

10. Hollywood has turned our country to garbage. Stop buying their new releases. Stop going to the movies on opening day. Stop spending money on Hollywood products. Their influence is destroying us. Hollywood is out of control. Stop giving them money!

11. Agreeing with the post above me. Also, most of their movies today are plain horrible, and they charge far too much. Hollywood gets no sympathy from me.

12. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 6,090   +1,519

As much as I agree, I doubt that will ever happen.

13. Steve Jobs showed everyone how to monetize downloaded content and make sure creators get money. Too bad the movie industry is so backward that they can't even figure out a way to effectively copy that model. They already have consumers over a barrel with the Millennium Copyright Act, wherein you are a law-breaker if you copy a DVD that you bought at full price. Its high time consumers stopped subsidizing uncreative & repetitive entertainment with high prices on the things that are actually good.

14. kick him in the balls! grrr! lol

15. PinothyJ

PinothyJ TS Enthusiast Posts: 429   +15

Wales is just as bad! At least Dodd is rolling in dough from MPAA and kickbacks, Wales is rolling in it from a NOT for profit organisation that *needs* well over ten million a year to operate (I call BS).

This is tosser V tosser…

16. I had the impression it was the community that asked for a blackout from these companies? If not, they totally supported the idea once it appeared on the internet.

17. treetops

treetops TS Evangelist Posts: 1,684   +60

Screw those hollywood aholes they are the only reason sopa and pipa came to be. They lobbied for them. Lobbying meaning they threw money at them, both sides. Now they are crying because the voice of the people beat their deep pockets.

18. "It is also an abuse of power given the freedoms these companies enjoy in the marketplace today. It’s a dangerous and troubling development when the platforms that serve as gateways to information intentionally skew the facts to incite their users in order to further their corporate interests."

-- Sounds like he's talking about the mainstream media to me. o_O

19. One comes to wonder, what would happen if everyone skips the next big screening. Let them know the consequences of acting in front of an angry audience. How dare you bite the hands that feeds you. Suddenly steak and wine are not good enough anymore.

20. Lwerewolf

Lwerewolf TS Rookie

That was in response to #14 btw, messed up the quote.

21. RH00D

RH00D TS Addict Posts: 412   +106

All I'm saying is that if the next headline I read says Christopher Dodd dropped dead, I'm not losing any sleep.

22. we can surely do without Hollywood and the filth they're pumping out.

the "tech industry" is far more important.

23. ramonsterns

ramonsterns TS Enthusiast Posts: 752   +12

Or MPAA disbanded due to illegal activities, like bribery.

24. You ever notice the only people worried about piracy are the ones making millions of dollars? The simple truth is this, piracy is a VERY good indicator of how good your product is. If you find your product on dozens of sites and pirated by hundreds of people then you have done a very good job and have already made a ton of money. Be happy your stuff gets pirated, no one pirates crap!!

25. How enyone could even suggest that public opinion would stand after Holliwood but not the technical community, this is a lost battle for Hollywood and they must show their respect to upcomming technologies, they also use a lot of technologies just to remind them, and when they use technologies for their movies they are fine with the tech community.

They whole thing will seriously reflect, in other words damage the Hollywood image and noone would that easily agree with them as they wish. Simply because everyone can do a lot of time without movies but noone could do even 5 min without internet. So better bend their tail and understand they went on the wrong way before they harmed their own industry for the public opinion and its reaction too much.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.