Multi-rail PSU incompatible with video card?

themitchguy

So I have an Apevia 680W Iceberg Aluminum PSU, and it uses (I'm guessing) a multi-rail 12V, since there's one 12V for 24A and one for 22A.
However, my GeForce GTX 260 Core 216 896MB requires a minimum of 36A. Does this mean that the Video card won't utilize both 12V (combined 46A) rails?
After all, I've never gotten the computer running very well; it freezes each time I use it, usually only a few minutes in.
Links:
PSU
Game Card

The 36Amp requirement is a recommendation for the whole system. nvidia are assuming that not every PSU that gets used with their cards is of the highest specification, so they err on the side of caution, as a lot of "500w" PSU's don't actually output 500w.
The GTX260 (216SP) actually has a power usage of a little over 170w @ 14.25 A
The card draws power through the PCIe x16 slot (75 watts nominal) and two PCIe 6 pin power (75watts apiece), so maximum theoretical power draw is 225w @ 18.75 A.
At the rated specification the PSU should be fine for power delivery. I personally don't know much about the brand, so the other consideration you might want to look into is how "clean" the power delivery is- also known as ripple -lower is better.

At the rated specification the PSU should be fine for power delivery. I personally don't know much about the brand, so the other consideration you might want to look into is how "clean" the power delivery is- also known as ripple -lower is better.
Apevia isn't terrible, probably along the lines of thermaltake, or slightly worse.

Back