Multiple BSODs please help

Status
Not open for further replies.

toasted

So, I have been working on fixing my uncle's computer and have had no luck.
It has has this problem before and they got it fixed, but now its back. I am encountering 2 BSODs actually one when i try to boot windows and one when I try to run the installation cd.

The BSOD on boot is 0x0000007B
The BSOD when using the installation cd is 0x0000007E, pci.sys problem.

Now i have run memtest86 got nothing, run the DellDiag tools and got nothing, eventually i tried to give up and ran Dell's Automated System Recovery(Symantec Ghost).

The Computer is a Dell XPS 410
It used to have a raid array installed now there is only 1 hard drive, probably the other tech's way of fixing it. Also there is no floppy drive installed and as far as I can tell there is no floppy power cable.

Any help would be appreciated.

First question, you mentioned that one BSoD happens when you run the Windows installation CD. Does it happen before it completes Windows Setup (first sceen where it asks you something, i.e. install Windows or use Recovery Console) or is it later? The reason I ask is that I have a strong inclination that this is a hard drive problem based on the information you gave. The only question is about the BSoD to do with the installation CD.

-- Andy

Please confirm all your drivers are up to date by going H E R E
Confirm that you have followed the Memtest recommendations of at least 4Hrs testing
Remove any unwanted startup items, or un-install unwanted programs

Lastly, provide any Minidumps as an attachment
attach.gif
located in C:\Windows\Minidump folder

-Almcneil
The BSOD when running the installation cd happens when it says "Now setting up Windows" or something like that. So right at the end before you get access to reformatting and installation.

-Kimsland
I have run memtest, let it run for an entire day and I got nothing from it. Also I can only boot the computer with ResPE so my options are extremely limited.

Remove any extra Ram (as per CCT message above)
Remove any other addon card, or external connections

only other addon card installed in the computer is the graphics card and there is no onboard graphics.

could it be a problem with a faulty graphics card per the pci.sys message?

-Almcneil
The BSOD when running the installation cd happens when it says "Now setting up Windows" or something like that. So right at the end before you get access to reformatting and installation.

Then the problem is with the hard drive or something related to the hard drive. Either run the HDD manufacturer's diagnostics or swap another hard drive in and see if the crashing stops.

-- Andy

-CCT
Sometimes i do have a problem reading, he has 2 gigs of ram.

-almcneil
I tried putting my HD in but forgot that it runs amd and my other computer is running vista, so the drivers would not be the same and would cause problems.

-kimsland
I have reset the bios setup defaults back to normal, on top of that I ran symantec ghost in an attempt to fix the problem but to no avail.

Is there unused space on the new HD that you can make a second parition and install Windows XP? If not download the manufacturer's diagnostic program to a CD and run it on the current HD to test it.

-- Andy

One thing to add, while trying to run the WD Data Lifeguard program i was looking around in the computer a little more and found a power connector for a floppy drive. yes i feel like an ***** about it.

Also when i finally got the disk going and such it gave me errors saying that there were no ide cd-rom drivers installed and such. which makes some sense since both optical drives are sata.

Ahhh, I tried a bunch of different things I found online and then eventually gave in to the temptation of Derik's Boot and Nuke. It was still giving me the error message with the windows cd. please help me still.

I made the cd and it kept giving ide errors about having no drivers installed. then no ide cd rom drive. so no scan was done.

I did that and I selected the WD2500JS and download "Data Lifeguard Tools 11.2 for DOS (CD)" burned the image to disk and when running that disk is when I got the error message.

They are the same picture, one is with flash the other is without. This is the error message that I am getting when I run the scan from that website.

Very strange

Just plug in one Sata drive not two, and test again
Or contact WD and ask what the issue is

I will give WD a call when I get a day off from school and work. I tried what you suggested, no go. Also tried with it not defaulting to Raid drivers from the bios so it was on "Auto-Raid/ATA" I believe it was called and I still got nothing. Since this hard drive is not the original and another tech has been inside of the computer trying to fix it would it be safe to call the machine dead if I got all the data off the HD.

One thing that really confuses my that is independent from this post is I thought HD lasted around 5 years, because this is a 2006 comp. I know they could just be defective but then something would have surfaced much sooner and would have been handled properly. I am just wondering why on a personal level.

Would a brand new hard-drive fix this?

Harddrives do have warranties
You can read the manufactured date from the Harddrive label
If it is under warranty, then get it replaced for free

I think before purchasing another Harddrive, you could first test this present one in another machine. That way you prove it it is the Harddrive or your computer :)

Try that first
And we are still waiting on word from WD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back