TechSpot

Multiple Explorer.exes

By Lukybear
Jan 28, 2010
  1. It seems that I might have a virus problem. My computer has been running slower, especially the explorer.

Also, I am in a particular sticky situation. My computer is fitted with a k9 Web filter, which if blocked, does not allow me to access internet.

So here is the situation. Sometimes ago, I felt my internet explorer was slower then usual. Then I found 2x explorers whilst surfing the net. Hence I googled and found a thread on this site with a similar problem. After using MBMA, i detected a trojan downloader, and using SuperAntiWare, ive found a load of tracking cokies, which were all delt with Quarantine. Now however, everytime i try to go on internet, k9 is blocking me, as something is blocking k9.

Please help!!

Attached Files:

2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 17,244   +234

2 instances of IExporer is normal with IE8. One is IE8 without add-ons, the other is with add-ons. This has nothing to do with your active infection.

Lets try Combofix and see if things settle a bit...
    Combofix Instructions

Try deleting temp files using this:
    Temp-File-Cleaner

3. Lukybear

Lukybear TS Rookie Topic Starter

ComboFix

Used, Combofix, whilst McAfree AV was on. Whilst in its process, McAfree detected virus, which was deletec. The Combofix finished. Should i now check whether internet is avaliable or not?

Please advise.

Attached Files:

4. Lukybear

Lukybear TS Rookie Topic Starter

cannot end process of internet explorer.exe. Also cannot access internet.

5. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 17,244   +234

Rerun Combofix with all antivirus and malware scanners stopped. Go back to my Combofix instruction link and follow the instructions to the letter

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.