My computer freezes and then restarts itself (every few minutes). Tried System Restore but no good.

1. I have has this problem for the last 24hours. I've never had anything like this before. I've just moved house so thought it might be something loose but I've checked everything several times. Every time I think it's ok, or I'm doing some work it just turns itself off (only seen blue screen once) and then re-starts. It's driving me mad! Any help would be greatly appreicated.
  2. Jay Pfoutz

Jay Pfoutz Malware Helper Posts: 4,286   +49

Hi there. I will help you get back on your feet here...

What's your current system? (Windows version + 32-bit or 64-bit)
  3. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 20,460   +135

Possible power supply problem, especially if the computer was used many months or years before it was turned off for the move
  4. Phil Boardman

Phil Boardman Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 19

Thanks very much, I really appreciated any advice or help.

It's a relatively old system (built by a company about 5 yrs ago). However, it has ben working very reliably and is able to cope with anything I have needed to use it for...until 2 days ago. Since I have moved it was working fine for a day though, that's the strange thing.

Specs: Intel Core 2 Duo CPU
    E6550 @ 2.33Ghz
    2.34GHz, 1.00Gb of RAM

Windows XP Home Edition.

I have tried changing the extension lead, in case this was the cause but still nothing - keeps shutting itself down. This was all typed from my laptop as the PC just won't stay on long enough!
  5. Tmagic650

So what about swapping out the power supply?
  6. Phil Boardman

I've just tried a new power supply (brand new) and still the same problem. It seems to be doing ok in safe mode though. About 10 mins now without shutting itself down and restarting.
  7. Tmagic650

Windows working in Safe Mode usually means that a hardware driver is at fault
  8. terry5880

terry5880 TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 527

Driver problem or over heating I would suggest it could be overheating and switching off to protect itself open side case then when u turn on check all the fans are spinning or get everest and check temps .. if all fine then look toward backing up if u can and reformat but bit tricky as it dont stay on long enough for a format

Reading above that its ok in safe mode I agree with tmagic it will be driver problem u need to update all your drivers or roll back some I would say its gonna be one thats used fairly quickly once pc turned on like graphics or something
  9. Phil Boardman

I have the side off the case off at the minute as I've checked for dust and it all looks ok. All other components are connected correctly too.

Regarding updating or rolling back drivers when I go to device manager it shows a red cross over three things:
    1. HID Non-User Input Data Filter (KB 911895)
    2. HID Non-User Input Data Filter (KB 911895)
    3. Audio Device on High Definition Audio Bus

Is this relevant or not?
    Thanks in advance for any help.
  10. Tmagic650

The device manager SHOULD NOT contain any crossed out devices. This could very well be the source of your troubles. HID Human Interface Device (typical USB keyboard, mouse or some other device) The Audio Device on High Definition Audio Bus means that this driver is not working or installed properly. You can check the motherboards support website for this driver. All this could also mean that the motherboard is failing
  11. Phil Boardman

If I just uninstall the devices could this solve the problem or are they all really necessary?
  12. Phil Boardman

I think my motherboard is an MSI N1996 if that sounds about right??
  13. Phil Boardman

I have got the MSI drivers and utilities cd for xp but when I put it in the PC it still can't find the audio driver.

14. Tmagic650

Is this an HP computer? If so What is the HP model?
  15. Phil Boardman

It isn't branded. It was built by a company with different component parts. Is there any mor einfo I could give to help?
  16. Phil Boardman

I don't think it helps that the company that build it 'Desktop Option' have gone out of business I think
  17. Tmagic650

18. Phil Boardman

Somebody else posted this website as a response to a similar thred on another forum but not sure how easy it is to negotiate. I've tried audio bus drivers and n1996 but all come up blank. I'll keep searching. Thanks again for your help so far
  19. Tmagic650

Is this an AMD or Intel CPU board
  20. Phil Boardman

21. Tmagic650

22. Phil Boardman

I was trying to download this for some time. I eventually managed it but every time I try to update my drivers (apparently they all need updating) the computer just crashes time after time. Any suggestions. Can it be done in safe mode because if so I can't seem to do it. Still all fine in safe mode
  23. Tmagic650

You would have to choose Safe Mode with networking, then try downloading the drivers
  24. Phil Boardman

I have managed to get Live Update 5 on my desktop but when I open it in safe mode an error message comes up saying 'Driver can't Load!'. I also cannot access the internet in safe mode (but don't know if that's normal or not). Just in case it helps. Whilst in safe mode I did a virus check with malwarebytes and the system was apparently clean.
  25. Tmagic650

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.