My Computer Keeps Restarting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zippster

My computer has been running a bit strange lately.
Randomly the monitor will go black and then an error message will occur telling me that a stop error has occured your system has stopped for safety reasons.

I am running a
Pentium 4 3.0ghz HT
512 DDR 400
Windows Home SP2
Segate 200g Hard Drive

Safety reason? I think it would not restart if there's no "danger" involved lol. Nvm, but it is relater to a "overheating"? we need to know what does the error message tell you about, so that we could help you better.:)

btw, if your computer is so called quite old (2-3 years old or more), such little problem like dust could affect your system stability.

Well things like this have happened before and it turned out to be dust but i cleaned all the parts and still it restarts. It turns on and then when XP starts to load it just restarts and another error message comes up saying that a resent hardware or software error has occured
Start windows normally
Safe Mode
Safe Mode with networking and so on.

I put the Windows XP disc in to reinstall XP. The starts to load but then a blue screen comes up telling me that a stop error has occured.

Sounds like a BOSD error, seeing as for "Saftey Reasons". If you could give me the "Stop code" it gives you, i could tell you a little more about the error. Also check your event viewer (start>control panel>administrative tools>event viewer) and check for "Bug Checks" or "Unexpected Shutdowns"

It restarts before I can even get into windows. When the error comes up when I try to reinstall it says ntfs.sys. Do you think its got something to do with my hard drive.

When you cleaned out the system for dust, did you unplug the power to the PC? Did you touch anything with your hands or fingers that might have cause static electric. Next time you open the case take some fabric softer and rub your hand with it or fabric softer sheets for the drier you can rub your hand with will also work too. Or ground yourself with the power supply first.

What you're describing good be one of two things?

1. Memory going bad.
2. MOBO going bad.
3. CPU running to hot

There is the same problem at work with one of the user PCs, the system was re-imaged and everything check out find. This was P4 HT 3GHz system with SATA HDD. The next day the user called to say the same problem has occured. The system would reboot every 10 mins. Memory was the problem here. Sometimes it could be the MOBO gone bad too..

There is a free program you can use to WIPE the HDD before you put the OS back on, which is a good idea. Nothing goes away there is always something on the HDD usually hidden. Using a WIPE program will erase everything that's on that drive completely.

No I was careful when I went inside the case.
But how do I format the hard drive if it restarts in the computer.

I think I might upgrade by getting a new motherboard, graphics card, 512 more ram and formating the hard drive and i'll see what happens after that.
Thanks everyone that helped me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back