My computer wont boot (restarts every 3-4 seconds)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all
I really hope you can help me with this, it started 30 minutes ago.

I have a desktop computer, and when I hit the powerbutton it turns on, the fans start spinning and everything sounds normal and then, after 3 or 4 seconds the system reboots itself and tries to start up again. This continues in an endless cycle untill I decide it is time to stop. Nothing happens, no signal to the screen, no beeps nothing.

This is probablt not the case, but I just bought a Logitech Wave keyboard and I noticed it had a hibernation button on it, and so I thought I would try and see if it worked. After I pressed it, this started happening and first off I turned the computer off and tried to power it back on, but without luck.

I have tried disconnecting both rams (one at a time), removing the gfx card and disconnected the dvd drive even, without any results. The computer just sits there and reboots every 3-4 seconds. I would probably suspect the motherboard at this point.

If I press the "RESET" button on the motherboard, two yellow lights flash on the Gigabyte Motherboard and it resets, the same ligts that flash every 3 seconds when the computer reboots on its own.

If anyone can help, it would be greatly appreciated! :)

I would say that you should reconnect all components in your system. Then start it up and check. Use your old keyboard if possible.

Nothing else comes to mind. If it still doesn't work, then try solving the problem through elimination. First connect only the minimum components required for the PC to boot into BIOS (i.e.processor, 1 module of RAM and the gfx card only if you don't have onboard VGA). If you're able to boot into BIOS, then add your 2nd memory module and test. Continue adding components and restarting to check when the problem appears.

All the best.

Gigabyte motherboards with P45 chipsets especially have trouble resuming from S3 sleep (hibernation mode) states. The same can happen to a lesser extent with X58 boards- but I'm guessing you have a P45 and probably of the UD3 variety
What model board ?
Are these the symptoms:
Enters S3 sleep but the power LED does not blink like it normally should when in S3, and when you use the keyboard to wake up the system it enters a reboot loop:
1) power up
2) system fans come on
3) cd drives are briefly accessed
4) ~4 seconds later, powers off again
5) pause 1 second and repeats from step 1

Flash the BIOS to the latest available available -don't use a beta and use Q-Flash to reflash - if you're not sure on how to go about it post back.
DO NOT USE @BIOS - there's a good chance you'll turn the board into a doorstop, or at least end up having to use your backup BIOS chip (if its a P45). Never a good idea to flash a BIOS in an OS enviroment.

Be aware that there is a bug in the BIOS of EP45-UD3L/-UD3LR/-UD3/-UD3P/-UD3R boards in relation to Windows 7 WEI (Windows Experience Index) that can put the system into S3 if you have it enabled. The only solution at present is to enable S1 or no sleep/hibernation.

Can you tell me what sounds the HDD makes? does it spin and then suddenly shuts down? I have seen similar situations and the problem was the HDD or the motherboard. the best way to know for sure is to try to test you components (all of them to be sure) in a different PC (ask a friend for help if don't have a second PC).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back