My DVD reads CD but not DVD -- on XP! (Samsung TSSTcorp SH-S223B))

..and not surprisingly after installing yesterdays Win Update of coarse!

Yes, I've seen posts with the problem here before (looong time ago) and I've tried some of the suggestions, updating firmware, uninstall/reboot and system restore (the later never seems to work by the way).

Some suggest a hardware issue regarding the "lase pickup" on the DVD, which is basically where I'm at now. It does reads CD's all fine (or those I've tried anyway, including XP OS) and it did so - the vary second - before I let that stupid update get installed (which I apparently can't get rid of either).

Back then (referring to the older post) there was also a "fix" mentioned which I haven't tried. But them again, my D-drive is visible and and partly functional (which was this fix main address) so I don't think that will work - also considering it being several years old.

So anyone ells having seen this with the latest win update (or "malicious software removal tool", or whatever it called can't recall)?! Or how to reverse it? Not being sure buying a new DVD will solve this either. I'm all ears anyway!

Using WinXP SP3, i5 @2.66, 4GB RAM

Do you happen to have a bootable DVD? If so, try and boot off of that. This will tell us whether or not it quit working after the updates was a coincidence or not.

Bootable dvds would include several linux disks, Vista, 7, and the DevPreview or Consumer Preview of Win 8.

Do you happen to have a bootable DVD? If so, try and boot off of that. This will tell us whether or not it quit working after the updates was a coincidence or not.

Bootable dvds would include several linux disks, Vista, 7, and the DevPreview or Consumer Preview of Win 8.

Thank you for your response!

Now it seems I've discovered what at least seems to be the cause of the problem, even though I'm not fully pleased with this... well, "behavior" for lack of a better word.

Here is what happens. The DVD encounters a bad disk, or at least some of the files are corrupted. When this happens it freezes (it tries to find the files but just keep spinning and flashing). So I try to “cancel” the procedure but with no luck, hence end up with ejecting the disk.

From here on I can’t put any other DVD in the drive as it treats it as it still has the bad disk in it (!??!?). The name of the old disk also remains in “D” and won’t go away!

Now the only “solution” I know so far is to turn off the computer – completely! Just a reboot/restart won’t do! So after powering up again, the name of the old disk is gone and as long as I don’t put the (any) corrupt disk (or rather point to the corrupted files) it behaves normal again! And mind you, CD's are not affected by this, they work fine!

I don’t know now if this any longer is related to the win-update or any other miss-function of the specific drive.

I’ve not tried to do a reboot from CD, (in my case) WinXP SP3 but I don’t think it would “prove” anything judging from above. Well, in any case, thanks!

Have you tried removing the updates you installed that caused the problem? Or rolling back/system restore? I haven't used XP in a long time so I had to google it. Apologies if this doesn't put you on the right track:

Go to Start > Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs. In the Add/Remove Programs window select the Show Update check box. Then I suppose you just remove what was recently done.

You are right, with the behavior you are seeing, it doesn't sound like a faulty drive, sounds software (OS) related.

Have you tried removing the updates you installed that caused the problem? Or rolling back/system restore? I haven't used XP in a long time so I had to google it. Apologies if this doesn't put you on the right track:
Go to Start > Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs. In the Add/Remove Programs window select the Show Update check box. Then I suppose you just remove what was recently done.

You are right, with the behavior you are seeing, it doesn't sound like a faulty drive, sounds software (OS) related.

No worries mate! I've not seen this myself since the posts I've mentioned. Rolling back a restore point haven't worked before as also mentioned above (they never worked). Removing the update (ADD/REMOVE assumed by date) could probably show something but it seems somewhat too esoteric to my taste, given the circumstances. Regardless, as it's most likely related to the behavior of a faulty disc, not the drive itself I suspect this issue will be considered low prioritized by Windows (XP, which support will end 2014). Nevertheless, someone might find this information useful in the future. Thanks!

Back