My first build: How do I know if my configuration will work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Envergure

I'm wanting to build a studio PC for composing and recording music. I've never built a PC before, and I'm wondering how I can tell whether all the parts and OS I've chosen will work together before buying.

I tried asking Newegg customer service, but they "don't do product recommendations".

I have a pretty good idea what I'm doing, I think.

Here are my parts, if you're interested:
-- Asus AM3 mobo (Newegg #N82E16813131366)
-- AMD Phenom 2 X4, 2.6GHz, 95W, w/ heat sink
-- NVidia GeForce 9800 GT, 512MB (Zotac)
-- 4GB DDR3 1333 RAM (G-Skill)
-- 640GB, 7200RPM SATA HDD (Western Digital)
-- SATA DVD burner (Samsung)
-- Mid ATX case w/ 500W power supply (Sigma)
-- Vista Home Premium, 64-bit
-- Haven't picked a soud card yet.

Hi Envergure,
those components will indeed play together nicely, double check the specific ram kit with the support list though, Asus can be a little touchy about the ram used.:) here is your boards support list

If you're on Newegg's mailing list, the WD Caviar Black 640GB is on sale for $59.95 until Sept 3, 2009 w/ free shipping.

Thanks Cranky, but I'm not on the list.
If you want the drive here's the promo code; EMCLWNW27 Enter it at checkout. You'll probably get the discount, and every drive from 250GB and up is always free shipping, so no problem there.

Oh, if you're going to start building computers, I'd sign up for Newegg's Email deals ASAP.

Your mother board already has 8 channel sound, although I don't know if that would be the 16 bit interface that MIDI would need. Red probably knows, but he ain't saying. Well not yet anyway. :wave:

@raybay, the "Shell Shocker" deals are a once or twice daily, one item deal. So, if you're looking for anything specific you might get lucky, or you might die of old age waiting for exactly the item you want. The Email sales run from 24 hours to about a week, have promo codes, and perhaps dozens of items. >> :( <<

@Envergure, yup assuming you have a keyboard,monitor, etc

@ Cap....:haha:
Your mother board already has 8 channel sound, although I don't know if that would be the 16 bit interface that MIDI would need.

it is indeed!

Buy from NewEgg nearly daily for our repair business...
On this drive, they shipped it free after I entered the code.... then only minutes later, I got another offer from NewEgg... with the price automatically discounted with no need to enter the code.
The one with the code only allowed on drive on the purchase using the promo code. The second one let me order six more for $9.65 shipping... still a bargain, methinks.
I seldom use the Shell Shocker, as they are clearly items for which Newegg is trying to reduce inventory.
Their other promotions are often a much better choice.

I would recommend getting a Cooler Master Elite 330 or Centurion 5 case and the Corsair 400CX PSU instead of that Sigma combo.

Also, for a sound card, I recommend the M-Audio Delta 1010LT as the best choice for studio recording and compositions. It's pricey, but worth it IMO.

One problem... we are seeing a lot of broken power switches in the Cooler Master Elite 330, and Cooler Master has no replacement... they also drag their feet forever on replacing the case otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back