My first build need guidance

Arman

Hey guys i'm just looking for some information on Motherboards and i have a couple other questions.

This is my first build and i'm going to be using it for mostly gaming but everyday use too.. basically i'm not sure what to do. My budget is about 800 dollars take or leave 50-100 bucks. I did some asking here and there and i was told i won't be able to get a good Intel / Nvidia rig for that budget even though that's what i want, but if that's true then i guess i can go AMD, but i have 0 experience with AMD. (if i sound stupid and ask stupid questions please bear with me it's my first build)

ALL purchases will be made online (most likely new egg) I live in Los Angeles California.

Starting with the Motherboard, i have 0 idea what im looking for. What should i look for? i know the obvious thing like look at the ports and what it got, and im probably gonna go for ASUS, but thats not 100%. So just give me some help there. Im not able to post any links yet because this is my first post but ill write down what they are and the price listed. (everything is from new egg)

For Graphics card i picked this out tell me what you think:
ASUS ENGTX460 DirectCU TOP/2DI/768MD5 GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) 768MB 192-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card for 149.99.

For sound card i have no clue will i even need one? Doesn't the decent motherboard have integrated sound? (even though its not great?)

For Power supply i don't have any problems i have a 500w at the moment and i'll just use that.

for the Disk reader/burner what should i go for? Won't the regular one just do it?
ASUS Black 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA 24X DVD Burner - Bulk - OEM for 17.99

Processor: Right now im on a little Intel Core 2 Duo e4500. I'm looking to upgrade to an i5 or even i7 if the price is right and can fit it into the budget.

Intel Core i5-750 Lynnfield 2.66GHz 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1156 95W Quad-Core Processor BX80605I5750 for 199.99

I heard this one is a great choice. (once again the question for AMD comes up here, so what are your recommendations?)

Case: I picked this one out because it looks like it has great ventilation and sure looks nice imo
Rosewill ARMOR Gaming ATX Mid Tower Computer Case ,Full mesh design front bezel, comes with Six Fans-1x Front 120mm Fan, 2x Top 120mm Fan, 1x Rear 120mm Fan, 1x 80mm Fan on motherboard tray, 1x Side 200mm Fan, option Fan-1x Bottom 120mm Fan for 79.99
what else can i look for in cases?

Memory: got that covered

Lastly Hardrives:
Alright this is my deal, i want to keep ALL my files like all my games, my OS. Can't i just use my hard drive in the new build? I don't want to buy another hard drive and transfer everything and then go buy the OS on top of that. If i can i would like to put my hard drive into the new build and just buy an external or even another internal HD as an upgrade.

I'm 17 years old and i don't have the a lot of experience so like i said if any of my questions sounded stupid please bear with me.

Can't i just use my hard drive in the new build?
Yes, you'll have to wipe and re-install.
Does $800 include the OS (if you have a retail edition, you should be able to transfer windows) or peripherals?

For Power supply i don't have any problems i have a 500w at the moment and i'll just use that.
Post specs or model number (since you can't link) please.

For sound card i have no clue will i even need one? Doesn't the decent motherboard have integrated sound? (even though its not great?)
It's fine.

ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS Black SATA 24X DVD Burner - Bulk - OEM
Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
ASUS M4A87TD/USB3 AM3 AMD 870 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 AMD Motherboard
SAPPHIRE 100315L Radeon HD 6850 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity
CORSAIR Builder Series CMPSU-600CX 600W ATX12V v2.3 Active PFC Power Supply
AMD Phenom II X6 1055T Thuban 2.8GHz Socket AM3 125W Six-Core Desktop Processor HDT55TFBGRBOX

Just under $700 with current black friday prices, that leaves some money for the case and whatever; if you don't need an OS, you can swap for a 6870.
BTW There is an edit button.
BTW again, i5's use socket 1156.

what do you mean by "Yes, you'll have to wipe and re-install."?

Basically i can keep all my files and everything and just re install the OS from that hard drive? Or what did you mean? xD.

And what did you want for the model number? The PSU?

I mean you have to reinstall windows.
If your files are on a different partition, then yes, you can keep your files and just wipe your windows partition. Of course, you can always repartition and move your files there.
If it's an OEM edition of windows, microsoft will probably get mad at you and invalidate your copy.

And what did you want for the model number? The PSU?
Either specs, or anything that will identify your powersupply so I can look up the specs.

okeeey. it was pretty cheap.

My mistake it was a cheap 600W. I know the specs that were listed were probably not what they actually were but idk i have had 0 problems.

Broadway Com Corp OKIA-BLACK-600 600W ATX 12V V2.2 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Active PFC Power Supply

okeeey. it was pretty cheap.

My mistake it was a cheap 600W. I know the specs that were listed were probably not what they actually were but idk i have had 0 problems.

Broadway Com Corp OKIA-BLACK-600 600W ATX 12V V2.2 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Active PFC Power Supply
Well that just won't do.

First off, your chosen CPU & motherboard don't mix; they're completely different platforms.

What's the max resolution of your current screen? Are you going to buy a new one now or in the future?

A decent Intel build is very difficult given your budget; an AMD build would be better suited, and performance-wise, it shouldn't be that far from the Intel rig, at least gaming-wise. Still, I can give you recommendations for both, provided you answer my previous questions about your monitor.

Emm I guess i'll go AMD then. Because performance is what i need.
And no, im sticking with my current monitor. HP L2208w

but i may buy a new monitor but idk bout that yet.

Here's what I'd reccommend - I don't know where you're located, but this will kick **** and comes in well under $950 Australian, so it ought to be cheaper US$ {though we're pretty much parity with the greenback these days}. AMD uses a single Socket (AM3+) for all it's new CPU's, so it's not confusing for noobs like the Intel platforms.

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 QUAD Core 965

MoBo: Asus M4A88T-M-USB3 AM3 {or any AM3+ with the features you want}

RAM: 2 x 2Gb Generic DDR3 {in the real world, timings etc make stuff all difference}

HDD - here's the biggie... Splash out on an SSD & a cheap HDD for storage, or get a decent HDD & add an SSD later? Go a 2Tb Western Digital Black & save up for Solid State on your budget

Vid Card - The 460 you mentioned would be more than ok.

Re- use your DVD Burner/s or grab a Blu Ray Combo

Case & PSU of your wallets liking

For an Intel build, try this:
Grand Total = ~$740, not counting rebates.

Why Rage, I daresay you've brought a tear of joy to these old eyes! I'm going to go now, before I get all choked up....:wave:

rage I gotta say, ive been eyeing that Transformer case for SO long.. idk.

Rage i have a question, if you think i should rather go with AMD for the budget (and or if you like it personally more) what would you recommend?

oh and about that hard drive question. For some reason i keep thinking about that. Can i use it so it will basically be the same OS and all my files? Basically a full on upgrade but same hard drive? (im going to buy another hard drive if possible but i really want to use the one i have already too)

I would go for the option that allows me to get an extremely powerful video card (like the HD 6870), in case I wasn't planning on upgrading soon; that option would be an AMD build, in your case.

Just replace the CPU & mobo in my suggested build with the Phenom II X4 955 & the Gigabyte GA-770T-USB3 respectively. You should then have enough cash to get an HD 6870. I wouldn't recommend changing anything else though.

SO basically i should get amd Phenom II x4 955

Which MB are you talking about? Isn't that Intel Motherboard?

the HD 6870

Samsung SpinPoint F4 2TB HDD - $79.99 + free shipping

Samsung DVD Burner - $15.99 + free shipping

Antec TruePower New 650W PSU - $69.99 + free shipping

Sunbeam Transformer Full-Tower ATX Case - $74.99 (without $40 rebate) + free shipping??

Will i have any problems running my Hard drive with a new cpu even though mine is intel?
AND my friend has purchased this mb
GIGABYTE GA-790XTA-UD4 AM3 AMD 790X SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard
Is this significantly better then the one you suggested me? 79.99 vs. 139.99?

Yeah, the X4 955, and this motherboard. You can get this HD 6870; I don't think it would cost you over $240, shipping included, and provided you register the card within 30 days of getting it, you get lifetime warranty on it.

Visiontek is among the "Big Four" ATI card makers, the others being XFX, Sapphire and HIS. Reliability shouldn't be a concern at all.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...e=10&IsFeedbackTab=true&rdm=49#scrollHelpful1

How about this one?

so far:

GIGABYTE GA-770T-USB3 AM3 AMD 770 USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard

Visiontek Radeon HD 6870 1024MB PCI-Express 2.0 x16

Samsung DVD Burner

Antec TruePower New 650W PSU

Sunbeam Transformer Full-Tower ATX Case

For hard drive, the current one im using plus the 2T hardrive you put up.

Memory i might go for generic dd3? or are the 4gb chips you put up worth it?

and lastly, sound card.. think i need one?

Okay. Thats good. IS this motherboard same? its cheaper ?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...e=10&IsFeedbackTab=true&rdm=49#scrollHelpful1

other then that basically everything i listed above? think i'd need a sound card?

also, if i install my current hard drive, then install the 2t hard drive on top of that how will that work? i can right? and i might want to install a 64bit OS so will i be able to do everything and get new OS and keep all my current files

The Gigabyte motherboard is great, no problems there. I assume you're still going with the X4 955?

The RAM's entirely upto you, although buying branded RAM is best due to the lifetime warranty support on most of the kits.

You don't need a sound card, the onboard HD audio on the motherboard will be sufficient, especially if you're using headphones.

Lastly, install your HDDs such that they're right behind the front fan in the case, for maximum cooling. I'd try to keep a 1-unit gap between them (a single empty space), but if it's not possible, then putting one under the other would also work. And yes, installing a 64-bit OS is the way to go, IMHO.

Alright thanks.. i mean i didn't get much help from any one else but i guess this looks good? and ye thats the cpu ill get. So basically ill have everything listed and 2 HDD's in the tower when im finished along with installing 64 bit OS.. anything else ill need to do?

It looks very good. And yes, you're on the right path.

The only other things would be installing drivers et al. You should be able to download the latest driver for your video card from here. The other drivers should be installed by Windows 7 automatically. You can also find them on the CD provided with the motherboard.

Then just install your browsers and other apps, and maybe a couple of games, and get fragging. :)

Back