TechSpot

My Hd is gone after reformating though it is detected by BIOS

By belgampaul
Feb 11, 2005
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. That's pretty stupid what i've done but here it goes.

i just wanted to have some extra space to use for Windows and I had an entire HD 80GB Maxtor for testing Linux. But i did'nt use it that much and 80GB is a bit too much for a system i barely use. So i decided to have it back for windows. I fdisk /mbr the thing, LILO was gone, hard drive was detected and ready to be reformated. The first thing i did was just to quick format the hd. Then I splitted it in 3 logical drives, the last one was feromated fully as it should. Then i decided to reformat the first partition (50GB) and it cemmenced pretty well. It went smoothly up to 100% percent and then i got an error message "The reformating wasn't succesfull". Ok, no probs I'd try to reformat it once again but the whole disk this time. But the system started hanging a bit and then when i could get back to computer management panel my hd was gone. No sign of it whatsoever. Nothing. I rebooted, checked my BIOS, BIOS recognised the drive. Bun not my WinXP. I can' find it listed in Disk Management it's just gone. Nowhere else except for device manager where it is still listed and "works properly".

The error i got in event viewer was like "a bad sector found".
    The hard drive is nearly new (4months) and was barely used.

How can I get it back? I need just reformat it properly but as i said it is not recognized by Windows.

Thanks for any replies
  2. tbrunt3

tbrunt3 TS Rookie Posts: 495

Probbly a bad MBR most harddrive disk utilities have a tool on them to make a MBR ..

If this does not solve the problem Zero out the drive itself (Write all Zeros to it) not same as a formatt.. this will solve your porblem since you do not have any data on it this would be your best route

check you harddrive maker website for a utility MAxtors is called maxiblast..

hope this helps you
  3. belgampaul

belgampaul TS Rookie Topic Starter

Thanks a lot for the reply.
    I wrote the post and then went to bed, but before that i coincidentelly read a couple of posts on the forum and found the link to the maxtor utility, just as u recommended.I Run their tool powermax (low level formatting) and when i woke up and rebooted, the disk was found. Right now Windows is busy formatting it once again. I hope this time no last minute problem occurs.

Thanks for the reply.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.