My monitor goes black while using the computer, especially during video games

Status
Not open for further replies.
The computer is a HP Pavillion 'a220n.' It has Win XP home, 512mb ram, Athlon XP 2600. It had a GeForce-4 video card that was replaced under warranty about 5 months ago. I forget what they replaced it with but it was not an Nvidia geforce card, it was from another company.

All of the sudden the screen will turn black like it went into sleep mode, and I can't get it to turn on by moving the mouse or by clicing the keyboard.

The computer itself is on during this, bujt I haved to turn it off and on again to get the monitor back on. This happens randomly, someimes when surfing the web or using the computer to do homework, but my kids play video games when it happens most.

What do you gus think I should look at or try? Thanks in advance, I'm off to work and will check back this eve.

I think your PC is overheating.
Open it up and check that all the fans are working, and that there are no dustbunnies floating around.
If the graphics card has a fan, be extra attentive.
Try it with the box open for a day. If no more problems, you need to put in an extra fan or two, before you close it again.

I have the same problem, i have already sent back the montior i had and then everything was going well...now it just did it again, not sure if it is a fluke...but its annoying...the comp is still on and i think the connection to the monitor might be messed up...i dont know its a 17" sony lcd...

RE: Monitor blacking out

Someone here reminded me to update my software and that worked. I just went to microsoft.com and updated everything ( which was helpful since I couldn't recall what kind of video card I had) and my monitor was back to normal again!
Maybe that could work for you?
Kathy

monitor goes black

I am having the same problem. All settings are set to always on. I changed monitors and still have the problem.

It can be a heating issue as RealBlackStuff wisely points out or it can be that your drivers or software that need to be updated as Kathryn777 discovered.

Drivers updates can include your video card

I am having the same problem... I suspected overheating first so I put a fan in the back (not a computer fan, but like a real fan) My screen will go black saying no signal input... I have noticed that the fan on my graphics card itself is not spinning... don't know why, but I did order a new graphics card because I think that's the problem (also I already replaced the monitor with a new 22" LCD... it was about that time anyways) IF for some reason it's not the graphics card, thus it's not overheating... what would the problem be? Any ideas? I always like to have the next step ready just incase :)

And also I uninstalled the drivers of my Graphics and reinstalled them, didn't fix it

If that fan is not spinning there is your heat culprit. Video cards get HOT especially when under a load while playing games.

i need help to nd its not the game cards because i download games eg silkroad , world of kung fu . and my laptop screen goes black pls i need help asap

ibstar786, you need to start your own thread and this most likely needs to go into the Mobile Computing forum . Also you need to give us your system specs and a little more clarity, i.e. spelling (unless English is not your main language), so that we can help you better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back