TechSpot

NAPT - requesting explanation and my problem

By Spike
Dec 20, 2005
  1. I'm seeking an explanation of the difference between NAPT and DynamicNAPT if anyone would be so kind. Even if it's no use to me knowing, it's bugging me now. Googleing the term brought up reams of shopping pages etc.

My problem is that using an ART18CX based router, with appropriate port forwarding, I have an application (bit torrent) that seems after a number of hours running to be exhausting my routers NAT tables (at least, it's the most likely (and only) explanation I've found anywhere.) There's no option to flush the NAT tables on the Router config, only to select different NAT modes (NAT, NAPT, DynamicNAPT), of which DynamicNAPT is what I'm using now.

Just in case there's an alternative solution (though I'd rather not change my BT client if it can be avoided - I like the simplicity. ...PML), a post about the problem I've been having that I'd written on my ISP's forum is quoted below...

2. RealBlackStuff

RealBlackStuff TS Rookie Posts: 6,503

3. Spike

Spike TS Evangelist Topic Starter Posts: 2,168

Lol. It was cheap - very cheap. I needed a quick fix to fill a gap, and I've had it ever since.

Cheers RBS. Taking a look now.

edit Ok, shall try it with the settings reccomended there. Wow - 9 ports forwarded - I'm only allowed 20!

It didn't say anything about NAPT though. Would you happen to know what DynamicNAPT is as opposed to NAPT?

4. Nodsu

Nodsu TS Rookie Posts: 5,837   +6

Dynamic NAT and static NAT are the terms you are looking for maybe?

As for BT choking your router, look for a setting in the BT client to limit the number of connections (maybe get a better program if you don't have the option). Set it to something well below 500 and work your way up from there to see what the limit of your router is.

5. Spike

Cheers Nodsu.

It's definitely NAPT and DynamicNAPT though. Apparently NAPT is different from NAT. Meh - that's what you get with obscure hardware I guess.

6. Nodsu

Nodsu TS Rookie Posts: 5,837   +6

NAPT is the thing that is commonly referred to as NAT. The makers of your router have decided to use absolutely correct terms (that noone else uses).

7. Spike

That'll be Connexant :) Thanks. :)

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.