NEC intros super fast video piracy detection technology

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew DeCarlo

NEC has announced the development of a new video identification technology that could help curb the piracy of movies and other content. The company's unnamed technology can detect illegal videos online in as little as two seconds (60 frames) with a very high accuracy.

NEC boasts that its lightweight nature allows even consumer-class desktops to match approximately 1,000 hours of video in one second, with detection rates of 96%. It's said the technology rarely slips up, having only five false positives in a million.

The technology works by generating a compact signature -- about 76 bytes per frame -- of the suspect video, which is then compared to a signature of the original content. It finds alterations such as caption overlays, analog copies, as well as those captured with a camera in a theater.

NEC hopes its creation will significantly reduce the time, cost, and inaccuracy associated with manually seeking out illegal videos online. It has already been approved as the final draft and it should be published this September. It will be demonstrated next week at an expo in Tokyo.

Permalink to story.

Fantastic, do Apple and Microsoft adopt it next to inform their OS users that they are using "unauthorized" video?

the hacking guys love when they spend millions to create something and they break it in a few days to a few hours lol. it won't take that to break it with todays computer give me a break lol..may take 7 times to rencode the avi to mp4 then use some other program to burn to dvd or put it on the web somewhere most liky piratebay but they will do it.

@ the guy before me: the format doesn't matter. Its detection is based on an analysis of the actual content of the screen, which will be fairly similar regardless of format. If it really works as well as they describe (which I doubt), then it will be difficult to cheat without making the video all but unwatchable.
However, it does require pre-existing profiles of all copyrighted works that it might catch. If it doesn't have a profile for whatever movie it happens to be scanning, then it won't flag. That means an individual profile for every episode of every television series, as well as every movie. Its unlikely to be given all this. Perhaps the most commonly pirated television series and movies (Avatar, Family Guy, Star Wars, and the like), but I doubt that the vast majority of movies will be profiled.

Fantastic, do Apple and Microsoft adopt it next to inform their OS users that they are using "unauthorized" video?
If something like that was to happen then maybe we would finally see the era of linux on the desktop.

This doesn't make any sense to me..!!. Why they need such expensive directors just to find out whether the video is illegal or not, while can say it Just by looking at the link (thepiratebay.org) lol......

Couldn't you just zip or archive the file? I would be surprised if this application can not only open and read the files, but do so when they files are encrypted/packed. Especially since this will be over the wire with no place to unpack it to.

to the posts above:
zip is fancy word for folder now. variations of different types of compression algs is another story esp if u add some flavor ;)

yes the article seems to suggest it reads all known video formats and encodings, (all those big boys want to make h264 the standard, now you know why) so was it that hard to make a new codec. some nerd will figure it out based on the fact that the content is continually growing in size and complexity. and ofcourse this nec software will need a sp1 lul.

in the end. lets all spread the word, be scared because they are watching and its your drive(s) they are scanning in "seconds"

glwt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back