Need help building my PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robdenis2

Hey, I was saving up some money for a while now, and decided to spend some on a new PC. I built my previous one YEARS ago with my brother, and have never built a PC solely. I do a lot of gaming, web design, and movie editing, so I wanted some help building my machine. I'll accept any and all input and suggestions on what I should improve/change and the overall fluidity of my build.

Video Card- XFX GeForce GTX 275
RAM- 4GB(2 x 2GB) Corsair 240pin DDR2 SDRAM 1066
Case- Antec Nine Hundred
PSU- Antec True-Power 550W
CPU- AMD Phenom II X4 940
MOBO- ASUS M3N-HT

I would recommend at least a 20" monitor w/ any GTX series nvidia card. Also, make sure the 275 is going to physically fit in the 900... since it's a Mid Tower chassis.

As a side note, building a modern PC isn't a difficult task. The process is pretty straightforward, though there are a few things to keep in mind with installing components in practical order. It's a day project tops and if you run into a problem, just post it up!

Ok sweet. My budget is no more than $1000.00.
Any suggestions with nicely priced monitor?
Also, how will it keep up against high graphic demanding games like Crysis?

1k is more than enough to build a decent system; you should be able to run the most demanding games with most of the newer hardware. I love my 23" Acer LCD; the price has come down significantly since I bought it. If you want to check it out it's the X233H. It's great for games, video, and multitasking with plenty of desktop space. There is a 22" and 24" version as well if you want a different size. Just one option, there are TONS of monitors available on the market.

Alright thanks a lot.
This PC is sounding better and better.
My AMD processor is fine for OCing, right? I don't need to go intel?
And if I do OC, do I need to replace the standard heat sink that comes with the CPU?

You wont get much overclocking from that cpu, you'd have to go over to intel for that kind of setup.

If you've still got a bit of spare cash after including the monitor I'd think about getting some RAM with tight timings (example 1, example 2). Should give gaming a bit of an extra boost without a major price increase. Not a big deal though, your system looks just dandy as is.

As a side note, my bfg gtx 275 manual reccomends a 575 watt minimum power supply.

Though it probably speculates for an i7 extreme.

i think ill stick with the Phenom II x4 940. I've read good reviews on it and it is significantly cheaper.
My only concern now is my power supply.
You guys think it's enough, even though it's recommended for the gtx 275 to have 575w and I'm only using 550w?

Of course. The i7 compatible is just to make i7 buyers happy about buying their psu. The PSU will run fine with all platforms. i have one from the same line with my athlon setup. It's a great buy.

I took your advice and am sticking with the corsair 650w. I've read a lot of good reviews on it.
But, if I take the combo that comes with my Antec 900, I get the Antec True-Power 650w and save $25.
Is it worth passing the bargain lol?

Are you saying you your build is $25 less if you get the antec 650w? If so, then do that. If i am reading it wrong, sorry.

Are you saying you your build is $25 less if you get the antec 650w? If so, then do that. If i am reading it wrong, sorry.

no, you're reading it right =)
now, i didn't look at heat sinks.
my CPU comes with one, so do i need to get a separate one if im only gonna overclock a little bit?

No. You can overclock a good bit on the Phenom II stock cooling. You only need to get a new one if you go above say 3.5 or so. I'm no expert, though. You might be able to go further.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back