TechSpot

Need help choosing a Power Supply for new build

By nissanman
Apr 27, 2010
  1. Hi all.

Originally, i was going to build a new PC with a single GTX 260 video card. I have since opted to build something a little different though. I was just wondering what size power supply you guys would recommend to me for my new build.

The full specs are:

CPU: AMD Phenom II x4 955 Black Edition
    Mobo: Gigabyte GA-MA790X-UD4P
    RAM: Corsair XMS2 2x2GB DDR2-800
    HDD: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB x2 (for Raid 0)
    Video Cards: Asus ATI Radeon HD4850's in Crossfire
    Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1LT

Cooling the CPU will be the Zalman 9700NT and will all be housed in the Antec Nine Hundred Two gaming case.

I was originally planning for a 650watt Corsair Power Supply Unit for this system. But i am beginning to wonder if that will actually be enough for the system. What do you guys think. Is it enough? If not, can you recommend me a good Power Supply?

Please dont say stuff like "you should get an Intel CPU and a single better video card" because i have already made my mind up on this system.

Thanks in Advance.

2. Route44

Route44 TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 11,966   +70

The Corsair line of power supplies is excellent. If you are not comfortable with the 650 try the 750; what do you need from the 12v in amps/wattage for Crossfire? Will you be overclocking?

By the way, love the cpu and 4850's in Crossfire and those WD Blacks have a good reputation. Is your system minus the psu ready to be assembled?

3. nissanman

nissanman TS Maniac Topic Starter Posts: 247

not yet. I still haven't got enough money to buy all the parts yet. But i should do in a couple of weeks. I do plan to overclock the system though and i think one 4850 is 110watts. Im looking forward to getting the parts for the system.

4. dividebyzero

dividebyzero trainee n00b Posts: 4,891   +1,256

I would second Route44's selection.
    Corsair HX650 ($199 inc GST) ...52 amps on the 12v rail is more than enough for most Crossfire setups.
    If you are looking at 750+ for some degree of future proofing then I'd suggest either the Corsair TX/HX750 or this Gigabyte Odin Pro 800w ($225 inc GST and shipping)...62A on the 12v rails, and like the Corsair units it features four PCIe 6+2 pin connections.
    I've used both the Corsair and Gigabyte units on most of my new builds-excellent reliability, efficiency, connectivity and price/performance.

5. Route44

Route44 TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 11,966   +70

I agree with dividedbyzero about future proofing and the 750 will provide that though Corsair HX models cost more than the TX version (I didn't know about the Gigabyte Odin Pro; must keep this in mind).

Just out of curiosity, why a DDR2 board and RAM rather than DDR3? Like I said, just curious. Then again with a few exceptions one will barely notice a difference if at all between the two RAMs.

6. red1776

red1776 Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe Posts: 5,219   +157

Hey nissanman,
    I'll third the PSU call by Route, and the 4850's crossfire very well. Just a suggestion on the brand of 4850. consider the Sapphire version (runs very cool) and or the XFX (lifetime warranty) if they are available there.

7. Ritwik7

Ritwik7 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,672   +9

Since you haven't bought any of the components yet, I would suggest that you take a look at adding 2x HD 5750 in CrossFire. They would just be marginally more expensive than 2x HD 4850 and would net better performance.

Also, you might as well get a AM3 / DDR3 system if you're building one from the ground-up.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.