Need help finding drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TopTop18

A few days ago my harddisk crashed. I bought a new harddisk and placed it. I reinstalled windows XP, but I don't know what drivers i have to install. I don't know from what parts my computer is build, so searching for drivers is also hard.
Could someone help me with this?

Most hardware drivers are built into windows, therefore it might already be installed. didn't you get a driver disc with you HDD?

Your posting is not real clear as to if your OS is up and running or if you are still attempting to get it up and running. If however the system is running that you are trying to get drivers for you may go to this website and download a program called Everest Home Edition.
http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4181.html This will give you a birds eye view of all hardware/software systems that are in the box.
From there it will be a matter of going to the manufactures website and looking up the drivers that will be referenced from Everest Home Edition.
BTW EHE is totally free.
Good luck
Regards.

Another option to consider

Another way of going about it if you are a bit overwhelmed with the manufactures website. One can go to the listed website click the free download for this program to scan your system to determine which drivers need to be updated. Of course when it is finished it will give you a listing specifically which drivers need to be updated. One can then go to google and type in the specific driver that is listed in the driver agent scan and install the driver yourself without having to pay the driver agent for them to find the driver for you.
http://www.driveragent.com/?gclid=CNeDxKL5n5YCFQL8iAod8EbG7g&PHPSESSID=u01j0cs9qebaviqrkv8dj4j084

Good luck
Regards

Start->Run, enter msinfo32. Expand Components and then double click Problem Devices

This would be hardware which has no driver found. If you see anything in the list you can post it back here.

Note, if there's a driver installed tho maybe an OLD driver it doesn't appear in this list

/************ Edit: And indicate the make/model of your computer *************/

Ok, I installed some driver(Motherboard thingy's, sound, graphics, bluetooth, network)

I didn't download driveragent yet, but does it note old driver, cause I think i have some.

msinfo32 says only one thing is missing and thats: PCI simple communications-controller.
is that important?

1. If it's a controller on your computer it's probably important.
=> Click on entry. Edit->Select All, Edit->Copy. Then paste into next post

2. I’d like to use Everest Home Edition to get a report on your specs
Download from here and run it
- Click Reports->Report Wizard
- Get a Custom Report report in plain text
- Check these items to report on
==> Computer
==> Motherboard
==> Network​

/************ EDIT ****************/

Haha.. And kimsland and i are both awake at the same time..but not doubling or tripling up on ya:D

About one, I'm dutch so I don't really understand what you meant, but i think it's this:
PCI Simple Communications-controller PCI\VEN_1057&DEV_5608&SUBSYS_00001057&REV_00\4&29817089&0&50F0 De stuurprogramma's voor dit apparaat zijn niet geïnstalleerd. (TRANSLATION: The stearingprogram/driver for this thing are not installed)

2.) Report as attachement, cause it was way to long to fit in post(note that somethings maybe in dutch)

maybe its for a Motorola PCI modem device perhaps? don't know if that might sound corrrect to you? or if you wouldn know one way or other

/*********** EDIT *****************/
Was just checking if that sounded familiar. in any case, let me find the driver.. brb

1. So the drivers to support your ASUS motherboard should be at this link
2. I'd advise downloading a copy of the manual while you're on download site for your board.
3. The BIOS on your motherboard is v1004. you should look at the BIOS versions on the site also. There is also available: version 1005 and 1006 (beta version). Good to know of them... see what fixes they might address but would NOT advise upgrading BIOS unless you have a problem you think these versions will correct. The manual will also provide information on correct BIOS settings

I post this info for you now. I'm check a couple other things. If you look back at this post in about an hour.. i'll also have it updated with that driver information. :)

/************ EDIT *******************/
From what i can tell, you have a Motorola SM56 Modem card. You must have purchased it separately as it's not on the ASUS site. This is the link to the Motorola product

You can visually verify it's your modem card. Then click Support tab 1/2 way down the page (next to Overview and Resources). Then choose your driver

Could be it's my modem card, cause i purchased a new one that supported wireless internet. Dowloading universal windows driver now.

Nope it's not a motorola modem, installed driver, but msinfo still syas it's missing.

Are there other things i need to be aware of?

1. I assume you ran a new msinfo32? Double check in Device Manager to see it list Unknown Device

2. Am still leaning to Motorola modem... there mihgt be some variation about your particular model

3. Can't look further for maybe another hour or two.. but! i probably pulled that from the Motorola US driver page (don't know but their might be variations for the EU). Check the Motorola site for that modem, your country (is possible answer, just a guess)

Now i rethink about it, maybe there isn't a modem in my PC. We use a router and we connected a few pc's to it wirelessly. mine is one of them. I don't know much about computers, but does that mean there isn't an modem in use in jmy computer? Only a network card for receiving the signal?

This is driving me nuts :rolleyes:

As i can't think of the @#@$$$ tool i've used that tells it all exactly!

But to start.. and show what this thing is (i'm 99% certain is a Motorola modem but that 1% uncertainty can be a killer!)

Start Everest again
File->Preferences->English (if you don't object :rolleyes:)

From Report Wizard again Get custome report

Now (with everything unchecked) Expand (hit the + sign) Devices.
Check Only PCI and Physical Devices
Run the report and attach

While you do that i will be adding some extra instructions.. so look back here in few minuyes

yeppers
Bus 2, Device 10, Function 0 Motorola SM56 PCI Modem

and i find other data matching it Unknowns string.. am working on other instructions.

is just a pain.. update shortly

Does it has use to install drivers for something that is probably not in use, caus emy network card and router are functioning correct?

I’m gonna have you look in device manager.

Problem is Device Manager doesn’t let you easily copy that information out easily so will have you install one more tool (if only I could remember the tool I really want!)
  • Start->Run, enter: devmgmt.msc
  • Device manager starts and you should see the Unknown Device listed in Device Manager. Rt click it select Properties
  • Click on Details tab. You should see a pull down menu probably saying Device Instance ID
    Probably shows, PCI\VEN_1057&DEV_5608&SUBSYS_00001057&REV_00\4&29817089&0&50F0​
  • Click the pull down menu and select Service. It should say Modem
  • Click the pull down menu and select Hardware Ids. <= These are what I need!
    • install SysExporter
    • Run SysExporter.
    • You’ll see an upper and lower pane. Upper pane list windows by their title (check upper left of Hardware ID window for its title)
    • Scroll to the window name, scroll thru the list, till you see hardware ids shown in lower pane
    • Click Items->Select All, then Items->Copy Tab Delimited and paste those into a post

What a pain, huh?

No, you don't need the driver installed till you actually want to use the modem.

So you can do the other instructions when you can..
When i see response i can go hunting (cuz probably couldn't keep doing it now anyway)

We can both take the break

1.) Won't use it, i have wireless internet working. But maybe just install driver? If it isn't to much work XD
2.) service tab is empty
3.)
PCI\VEN_1057&DEV_5608&SUBSYS_00001057&REV_00
PCI\VEN_1057&DEV_5608&SUBSYS_00001057
PCI\VEN_1057&DEV_5608&CC_078000
PCI\VEN_1057&DEV_5608&CC_0780

I will follow up and try and find you the matching motorola modem driver.. but might be up to 8-24 hours till i do... (u shouldn't really need it right away either from the sound of it) just let me know after trying the ones i can send u next

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back