TechSpot

Need help for fast General LCD decision 17" vs 19"

By Ron Sallanto
Dec 2, 2004
Post New Reply
  1. Hey out there,
    I need to select an LCD in a package right away. It's between a 17" and a 19" that are exactly the same quality - response time, native resolution 1280 X1024. Will the 19" strain the video card more and therefore cause more problems like latency, "after glow", "ghosting"? The card is a 128MB PCI Express™ x16 (DVI/VGA/TV-out) ATI Radeon™ X300 SE.

Thanks

2. Godataloss

Godataloss TS Rookie Posts: 501

Bigger is always better

Get the big boy if price is no option- it won't affect the vid card.

3. Ron Sallanto

Ron Sallanto TS Rookie Topic Starter

17" vs 19"

So the card is ok - that's good
    But I've been reading bits about this ghosting effect. If all things are equal, will the 19" "ghost", "after glow" more than the 17". It seems to be the only problem with LCD's. If your not sure, it's ok.

4. ---agissi---

---agissi--- TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,384   +15

Nope, ghosting and afterglow wont be affected by the videocard, or affect it.

You can determin how bad, or how great the LCD screen will have the ghosting effect by looking at the responce time in ms. Below 30 is good, 15ms and under is no ghosting, but my moniter I *think* is 40ms, maybe its 30, and there is no visible ghosting in games at all.

Just makesure the brightness is atleast 400:1 and the contrast is good.

5. Ron Sallanto

That sounds reassuring. Is your LCD a 19"?

6. ---agissi---

Its a 17", but size really has nothing to do with how valid my comment is, or the performance of the moniter.

a 19" doesnt have higher propencity to ghost anymore than a 17" does.

7. Ron Sallanto

Well I'm a more informed shopper now.
    I guess I'm leaning toward the 19".
    Thanks to you both.

8. ---agissi---

Glad we could help - and glad your getting a 19" :D If you can afford the extra $200 or so, a 19" is oh so much nicer than a 17!

9. Godataloss

Godataloss TS Rookie Posts: 501

Actually that ratio is the contrast. Brightness is measured in candellas per square meter (cd/m2).

Both measurements are usually grossly inflated by manufacturers so the only true test is a visual comparasion.

10. Athena

Athena TS Rookie Posts: 69

If you can afford it spend a few more bucks to upgrade your X300 to a x600 and take advantage of that sweet LCD you are getting!! Unless you are not going to play games, if no games then forget what I said. ;)

11. Mictlantecuhtli

Mictlantecuhtli TS Evangelist Posts: 4,916   +9

I'd recommend to test the monitors before buying, if possible. Some people seem to notice ghosting easier than others, just like with cathode-ray tube displays some people notice low refresh rates easier than others.

To make things more confusing, manufacturers don't always use the same method to measure and publish LCD response times.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.