Need help in building a PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

spacescreamer

Hey Guys..

Seen this place abuzz with lots of activity.. thought i'd say hi :)

Been hectic searching this forum as i been entrusted with a job to suggest a PC with certain requirements.
Banking on lil support from here.

Requirements:

Basically person wants to build a CPU to play games like Assassins Creed 2 and the works.
Will put in the gpu and stuff later on, rite now only looking at procuring the basic:
1) Proccy
2) RAM
3) Motherboard

On professional front he is hoping the above rig wd be able to run programs like IBM RAD and other such softwares.
Looking for Intel Based Machine.

Do suggest me few configurations.
TIA :)

yea i did went through a few of them, but honestly wanted few questions to be answered and few doubts to be cleared. Hence the thread.
Sorry if caused any inconvenience.

As for the budget, the lower the merrier.
The person is still a student and hence would like to keep it optimum. Not the threadbare one which ll make the machine stutter every now and then.

My main doubt keep coming up regarding choice of proccy.
Was thinking abt a Core2duo Based machine, E7500 to be exact when somebody pointed out that i3 is the way to go at the least now a days.
The machine is supposed to last atleast another 3 years, so keeping that in mind and how big a difference exist in the rates of the proccy i would like to make an informed decision, and that couldnt have been possible without a discussion.

We really need a budget because otherwise we'll be throwing out all kinds of ideas without working parameters.

The "lower the merrier" while at the same time while keeping it "optimum" takes some research but, again, budget please.

The person is travelling. And i cannot reach him for another 1-2 weeks.
But he needs the machine soon as he lands. Hence the task handed over to me.

I been out of the pc building scene for quite sometime so myself am not well aware about even a basic rig which run the games and the s.w like R.A.D as per his requirement.
But def looking something from Core2Duo and beyond. But Not extending in the i5/i7 range.

Do help me out on this. i ll try to get in touch with him as soon as situation permits.

AMD has some of the best bang for the buck processors going today. Would you/he consider AMD? Keep in mind, games today are hevily dependent on the GPU and good gaming cards are not cheap.

Intel has been the norm and person feels more comfortable with that sort of a setup.
Hence the preference for Intel.

Quite liked this particular config for my friend,,

Processor Intel Core i3-530
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-H57M-USB3
Memory Crucial 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3-1333

Is there any Core2duo based setup which would be similar in performance and still be more cost effective ?

Will look up between reg shops/online ordering. Which ever be cheaper.

India! Great! Ritwik7 is a regular contributor here and he is from India and he is especially good at putting together system builds keeping both function and budget in mind.

HKitty, Rage_3K_Moize, and a few others are also very good at this as well. Hopefully they'll check in.

Is there any Core2duo based setup which would be similar in performance and still be more cost effective ?
If there was, intel would make no money off their i3's!

Since you're looking for cheaper than that, i'll assume around $1000 USD.

ASUS M4A785T-M/CSM AM3 AMD 785G HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard
SAPPHIRE 100297L Radeon HD 5830 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card w/ ATI Eyefinity ...
CORSAIR CMPSU-450VX 450W ATX12V V2.2 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply
AMD Phenom II X4 945 Deneb 3.0GHz Socket AM3 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor HDX945WFGMBOX
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL7D-4GBRM

As a warning, I heard this RAM might have some troubles with certain AMD chipsets, but its really great RAM at the price, though you might want to change it.

That leaves you at...$600 USD, which is actually under budget. You will probably spend about $200 more on the case, hdd, dvd drive, and everything else.
Will you be buying phericals too?

No the other parts are there with the person.

As mentioned before, preferring an Intel Based Machine is the priority.
I just spoke to the person, he is fine with an Economical Intel machine.
Basically A decent processor which wont get outdated in coming 4 yrs, so that if he at all thinks abt gaming can get a gpu and play games.
Games is not that much of a priority, but an option for future wd be good.

But a basic question.. Keeping this in mind.. Which processor should he start considering from ..?
Core2duo i guess.??

Again, depending on the budget, I would say go for an i3 or an i5 so it won't be obsolete so soon.

Budget systems tend to be built around AMD CPU's so if that's the direction he wants to go, then look at the recommendations for budget systems in the links from my previous post.

Basically A decent processor which wont get outdated in coming 4 yrs,...
But a basic question.. Keeping this in mind.. Which processor should he start considering from ..?
Core2duo i guess.??
No. A Core2Duo is already outdated now. On the other hand four years is a long time in a CPU lifetime. Your goal of not being outdated in four years may not be accomplished if you only want to buy the least expensive i3 processor.

by outdated i just meant running the apps and games which keep popping up from time to time.

i was just reading that i3 based proccy have graphics processor on die.
So what does that exactly mean.?

I referred to http://techreport.com/articles.x/19159/3 for this config

Processor Intel Core i3-530
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-H57M-USB3
Memory Crucial 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3-1333

This actually came pretty cheap for an entry level i3 proccy.
Motherboard seemed pretty good.

Pls comment on this config in general.
Also do tell me if the above mentioned config will be able to run Adobe heavyduty apps like illustrator, Aftereffects, Premier etc.

Clarkdale CPU's do have an integrated graphics processor on board. It would only be good for light gaming so I would still recommend a dedicated GPU as part of the system.

One downside to the i3 processors is the lack of turbo mode. May not be a deal breaker but it may be important for some.

4850 definately wont last through 3 years, but I'm not sure a 5770 would either. Probably for basic stuff sure.

I've been done with crucial memory years ago once i ran into many compatibility problems mobo's.
Any low end Gigabyte board with an i3 should last you for basic program usage.

do mention some games which are handled by the prev mentioned on board graphichs system.
Name of the games wil give me a good idea about this.

No need to be so sheltered, the truth is the integrated chipset is 100% useless when you have a card.
Also, you can't use it in tandem with you card, so given the choice between the card or the i3 integrated die, its not even a contest.

i understand that, trying to fathom the capabilities of the onboard graphics feature.
So some games/examples would have been helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back