Need Help on Buying Video Card~!

By saeoh
Aug 19, 2007
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hello, i need help on selecting one of two video card..

My old computer got fried a week ago, so i had to get a pc from local store really fast. I picked a open box one for $299 and the maker was gateway.

I am planning to buy another computer in 4-5 monthes for my school works and gaming and make this computer as p2p and gonna connect to TV and watch some stuffs. However, for meanwhile, i need this computer for my gaming. I still have old projection TV which only have a S-video port and single video port(component? composite?) with 2 audio ports. The condition of the TV is not really good so probably end up buying new one soon.

So, i need a graphic card that can work with my current TV and future TV and a card that can run games. I do not need maxed-out setting for gaming and i cant have it since my monitor only support up to 1280x1024.

Here is my spec:
    1. Motherboard - Foxconn C51GU01 (i believe this is oem only mobo)
    2. Graphic interface - On Board GF6100 with 256mb shared memory
    3. Memory -2GB DDR (PC3200) (4 sticks of 512mb)
    4. CPU - AMD 64 X2 3800+
    5. CPU Speed - 2.0GB
    6. Power Supply Make/Model -going to buy new one since this one only have 300 watt
    7. Watt output/Amperage - going to buy new one(575watt -enuf?)

I am currently considering 2 video cards.
    1. BFG NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT OC 256MB PCIe(http://www.bfgtech.com/bfgr86256gtoce.aspx)
    2.Sapphire ATI HD2400pro HDMI
    (http://www.sapphiretech.com/ca/products/products_overview.php?gpid=185&grp=3)

I understand 8600GT have more power, but HD's HDMI with sound capability is very tempting for future use(yes, i want to keep this computer as long as i can use) and i heard ATI is bit better with 2Ds (Oh~ and its about 30% cheaper!!).

One of my biggest concern with HD is it might not have enough power to run 1080p media such ones from hd-dvd/blueray (who knows i might buy one in few years:D), because someone told me i will be needing 128 bits memories to run HD stuffs.

THank you.
  2. kpo6969

kpo6969 TechSpot Maniac Posts: 875

3. samjohnson

samjohnson Newcomer, in training Posts: 320

I have the 7600GT and it works good for me. Right now you can get a EVGA GeForce 7600GT for $90 from newegg plus the $15 discount they have right now. Make sure your comp has PCI Express x16 slots. Usually the prebuilts have PCI slots. Yes you will ned a bigger power supply, 500W or more should do it.

Here is the card from newegg if you want to check it out.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130062
  4. Rage_3K_Moiz

Rage_3K_Moiz Sith Lord Posts: 7,280   +23

The 8600GT is definitely superior. It has the same features the HD 2400 does, and is far more powerful.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.