Need help regarding Intel Core 2 Duo

Status
Not open for further replies.

speedy45

I am trying to find a great Intel Core 2 Duo, & my question is can I install any Intel Core 2 Duo on my computer that has a Intel D945GCNL that can handle 800 or 1066 FSB?

No, not necessarily. Depends on the age of the board. Some 945 boards won't even run a C2D, stopping at Pentium 4. Just for trivia's sake, did you know that the latest Pentium 4 "Extreme" editions had 1066Mhz FSB?

You can check Intel's website for CPU compatibility. They obviously have the last word. There may be BIOS updates available to accommodate some C2Ds, but I doubt that these would include any 45Nm chips. More likely E4X00 series Allendales would be the most recent useable CPUs.

My best guess says E5000, E7000, and E8000 series are out. (all 45nm)

I found the following pages on Intels site regarding the D945GCNL board, this page lists older processors that the board supprots and this page lists more modern (Core 2 Duo) processors that it supports.

Both lists have the BIOS version required to run the processor in question. Basically it looks like you can run a C2D from the E4x00 or E6x00 series.

yeah skitzo_zac, I saw that when I check but my question is can my motherboard can handle any Core 2 Duo on 1066MHZ FSB?

yeah skitzo_zac, I saw that when I check but my question is can my motherboard can handle any Core 2 Duo on 1066MHZ FSB?

ANY C2D on 1066? NO, not any, but the links I posted previously do list some C2Ds that have a 1066MHz FSB that your board can run from the E6xx0 series of CPUs. These processors can be run provided you have the BIOS version that the table says you require.

It should be clear from what HK and I have said which CPUs you can run on your board provided you look at the links posted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back