Need help with data recovery

Up until 3 days ago my laptop was working fine.

Then, all of a sudden, while transferring files to external hard drive, it just froze...and that was pretty much the end of it. It got to the point where this would keep happening and I know it's not good, but I ended up just forcing the computer to shut down by pressing the power button. then the computer wouldn't even boot up.

I ended up just buying a new laptop (btw, the external hard drive from my old laptop works fine). I bought a hard drive enclosure for the old hard drive from my old laptop to recover some data. the hard drive shows up as LOCAL DISK on the new computer but it freezes up when I try to access it (everything else on the new computer working fine) and can't even eject it. Whenever I try to do something with the old hard drive, it just takes a long time, or there's no response or it freezes. It even prevents my new computer from booting up or shutting down.

Is it hopeless to retrieve some data from this drive? or is it a lost cause?

Really appreciate any help! Thanks!

The drive may have some sort of malware on it. Download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, and run a custom scan on the drive. If it comes up clear, it may have errors. We will proceed from there after you have completed the scan. Best of luck.

This can be a problem of malware. Simple update your anti virus and scan the drive using anti-virus. Hopefully it would do the needed. But if it fail, you need to recover your data using a good third party data recovery software. Process of recovering data would be:-

• Get a good data recovery recovery software.
  • Install it your laptop without connecting computer (external) hard drive with laptop.
  • Run the software and connect the external hard disk.
  • Software will show the external hard drive with all data (deleted + non deleted).
  • Select the data which you want to recover.
  • Software will ask for location where you want to keep data after recovery. Select this location in laptop Hard drive.
  • After few minutes all your data will be available in laptop hard drive at location selected by you.
Tip - While selecting a data recovery software, make sure it is compatible with your computer Operating System because a software made for "MAC" will not work on Windows OS and Vice versa.

When the drive is Malware-free, might I suggest Recuva?
I've used it myself, it's easy to use, and recovered my data without much trouble.

From the same makers as CCleaner, a tool that everyone loves.

piriform.com/download

FIRST; before installing anything - -
run CHKDSK c: /F /R to ensure the HD is usable and will not cause further corruption.

Back