Need help with overheating temps (causing random shutdowns)

treesmoker

Hi there, I'm new here but hopefully you guys can help. In the last day or so my desktop has been randomly shutting itself off with warning, mainly whilst converting documentarys and backing up retail movies onto my HDD. This happend a year or so ago and I assumed that it was caused by overheating, so I opened up the case to find shed loads of dust clogging up the CPU & GPU fans and generally the rest of the mobo, so I hovered out the mobo, removed both heatsinks, cleaned with ArctiClean Thermal Material Remover and ArctiClean 2 Thermal Surface Purifier. After which I added some fresh AS5 and re-seated the heatsinks. However now the problem has come back, and after checking the mobo, there is no dust inside what-so-ever, all fans appear to be working 100%. however I read on this thread (http ://www .techspot .com/vb/topic48576. html) that i should run speedfan to check on the temps. Here's what i got:

EDIT: Won't let me post image, but i could PM them to some1 so they can post 'em? (http: //s705. photobucket. com/albums/ww60/treesmoker08/?action=view&current=HeatTemps.jpg)

Can anyone tell me what componants are overheating? (i.e temp 1, temp 3, core 0, core 1) and how i'd go about cooling these componants down? because I'm not great when it comes to replacing parts, it took me forever to find out that my mums old TIME computer needed a socket 440 CPU, lol :)

Any help would be greatly appreciated

EDIT: by the way my specs are:

Intel Core 2 Duo CPU 6300 @ 1.86GHz, MotherBoard Chipset: nVIDIA nForce4 Intel Edition (NFORCE 570 SLIT-A ver.3)
Graphics Card: nVIDIA GeForce 7600 GT, OS: Vista Media Center Edition 32-BIT

Hopefully this is enough info, if not let me know

Those cpu temps are strange, (2 of the 4 pages are reading negative values) so I wouldn't know whether to trust them.

I'd be suspecting the cpu fan, assuming those temps are trustable. I'm sure someone with much more knowledge than me will be around soon to confirm it though.

Temp 1 could well be your northbridge or southbridge on your motherboard. Its not your GPU, or drives, as they're listed seperately, as are your two CPU cores.

Are you certain all your fans are running OK?

Yea I'm sure the fans are running correctly, well i've had the case open and there all running okay (or so it seems)

Are there coolers you can get for the North/Southbridge?

Here's a screenshot of Everest Home Edition Sensor readings

http: //s705. photobucket. com/albums/ww60/treesmoker08/?action=view&current=MoreHeat.jpg

It's wierd, in Everest the CPU temp i randomly going 48F, 124F back down to 56F then jumping back to around 100-130F.
Althought I am converting a rather large documentary at the moment, swo maybe thats why

I think there is, but its beyond my experience. I'm sure others will be along at some point to offer some advice.

If AUX is your northbridge or southbridge like I suspect, its getting rather hot!

Okay, Thanks for all your help Leeky, hopefully somebody else will know more about where to buy such things and hopefully be able to tell me what the AUX in Everest senor tests are. Thanks again buddy

HI tree, download this utility and post your temps. (HWmonitor is the one you want) post the voltages as well. Speedfan is not the best app or this (gives lots of false readings. and well have a look.

Hi Red, I've downloaded HWmonitor, these are the results

http: //s705. photobucket.com/albums/ww60/treesmoker08/?action=view&current=Sensors.jpg

That is (if accurate) to hot. first see what your bios is reporting, second make sure your fan is not only running, but not stopping or slowing down while this is happening. turn offf cool-n quite if you have not already done so. make sure that when you reattached the fan/heatsink assembly that it locked down properly and that on of the pins/mounting screws is not completely flush or puling down all the way. look for cracks around the CPU mounting area. a gap of even .001 inch will heat things up. Lastly, you need to use the correct amount of thremal compound, (very little) too much can have the opposite effect.

Hey Tree, if it turns out that your heatsik/fan is the problem , and its a budget thing, I have a Zalman cp7000 copper (flower type) cooler. Im not doing anything wiuth. if you are in the states, you are welcome to it, if you want to pm your address. Its a great cooler for the CPU you have.

Okay Red, I'll check my Bios in the morning to see what it's reporting, and make sure i turn off cool-n-quiet if it's enabled, and i'll only up the case just to check that the heatsink assembly is properly locked down.

Lastly, you need to use the correct amount of thremal compound, (very little) too much can have the opposite effect.
Ah see I always knew that too much wasn't what you wanted, however I didn't know that too much could actually heat things up rather than cool things down. I'll redo both the GPU & CPU compound tomorrow morning and then post results from HWmonitor. By the way, am I correct in thinking that smoothing out the thermal paste with a credit card is the best way to apply the correct amount of thermal compound? because some people say put a blob on and let the heatsink even it out with presure (which is what I previously did) however some people argue that most people put way too much on using this method? and it is best to use a credit card?

Hey Tree, if it turns out that your heatsik/fan is the problem , and its a budget thing, I have a Zalman cp7000 copper (flower type) cooler. Im not doing anything wiuth. if you are in the states, you are welcome to it, if you want to pm your address. Its a great cooler for the CPU you have.
Red1776 thats extremely kind of you but sadly I live in the UK :-( would that be a good cooler to get for my CPU if I can find one here in the UK? also my case has an additional 2 fan grills on the casing, is it worth me getting two more fans to help with the cooling? and if so what connection would they need to be? molex?

Thanks again to both of you for helping me solve this issue, this forum seems to be full of experts :D

On a side note, I just checked out red's PC spec's.............................WOW! thats a BEAST of a machine!

They will have the option of being a 4 pin molex or a three pin connector. and yes the more air flow the better obviously. I prefer a positive air flow setup, but you could do a negative air flow setup to move more air through the systems as well.(just is a little dustier) have 210 CFM in, and 155 cfm out (depending on how I set the RPM of the fans. it works extremely well and limits dust. I also have a mid case 140mm 'core fan' for a straight through wind tunnel effect. if you want some advice on setting up an air flow system so it doesn't fight itself, let me know. :)

Changing your CPU heatsink is the best thing you can do, followed by more airflow.

The E6300's generally run very cool. So cool, in fact, that many people overclock this CPU on its stock heatsink.

Might just need to check how much AS5 you're using. I personally use the blob method, and I've never had any problems. Just about 1/2 to 3/4 a grain of rice does the trick. If unsure, remove, check the spread, and make sure it gets most of the surface area.

The other thing is to check that you've got enough airflow in and out of the case. Adding more case fans will help. Generally:
Back fans are exhaust
Top fans are exhast.
Side fans are intake
Front fans are intake.

Of course, depending on the layout of the case, this may differ, but I doubt it'll be much different.

Hey guys, thanks for all the advice. I'm gunna check my heatsinks later today, just thought i'd post my bios readings for you guys to have a look at before i do anything.

BiosTemps.jpg

i would probably enable that smart fan option, and definitely swap thermal now that the computer has been overheating :)

Hey guys, sorry I havn't reported back sooner, my girlfriend has just given birth to our first child (baby boy - 44hour labour - c-section = WOW! won't forget that experience) this week so kinda had my hands full, lol

Anyway back to bussiness, I cleaned/re-applied all of the thermal compound on the CPU, GPU, and the graphics card chip (because recently the computer has been booting up but with no video signal on the monitor) and to be fair all of the heatsinks/fans for the chips did have a fair amount of dust clogging them up, and the GeForce 7600 GT had the oldest, most rock solid thermal compound i'd ever seen on a computer.

here's what they look like now, and the fan that the GPU uses (well at least I think it's it GPU):

SDC10570.jpg

SDC10575.jpg

SDC10573.jpg

SDC10572.jpg

And these are my bios temps now:

SDC10576.jpg

so whats the verdict? because to me that looks worse than before!

whats even stranger is that with HWmonitor nearly all the temps are 1-2c higher than before, what am I doing wrong here?

Hey Tree,
It may just be the pic, but that looks like entirely to much thermal compound, especially on the GPU. When you touch the heatsink, is it to hot to keep your hand on? I am just wondering if you are getting actual temp readings , or have a bad sensor.
***dont forget to touch the side of the chassis, a metal part, to discharge any static.

okay i'll just go and dig up my anti-static wrist band and have a check, i'll be back in a sec, and thanks red

EDIT: sorry red, i'll have to get back to you in the morning, my mrs is complaining that i've been on the computer for the last 5-6hours, speak to ya soon mate

okay i'll just go and dig up my anti-static wrist band and have a check, i'll be back in a sec, and thanks red

EDIT: sorry red, i'll have to get back to you in the morning, my mrs is complaining that i've been on the computer for the last 5-6hours, speak to ya soon mate

lol, ya I get that once and a while as well. Congrats BTW! :)

treesmoker said:
...my girlfriend has just given birth to our first child...
treesmoker said:
...my mrs is complaining that i've been on the computer for the last 5-6hours...
You, sir, live a complicated life. :) Sorry for the off topic comment but that begged for one! Oh, and congratulations on the birth of your child. :grinthumb

Thoughts on a Complicated Life........

....[ ].... my mrs is complaining that i've been on the computer for the last 5-6hours, speak to ya soon mate
Hey guys, sorry I havn't reported back sooner, my girlfriend has just given birth to our first child (baby boy - 44hour labour - c-section = WOW! won't forget that experience) this week so kinda had my hands full, lol
You, sir, live a complicated life. :) Sorry for the off topic comment but that begged for one! Oh, and congratulations on the birth of your child. :grinthumb
Just out of curiosity, are your "Mrs" and your "girlfriend" the same person or 2 different people?

But perhaps more importantly, why would the attending physicians allow a labor to continue for 44 hours before electing to use Caesarian section? You'd have thought a day and a smidge would be enough to convince them. I'm jus' sayin'.

But perhaps more importantly, why would the attending physicians allow a labor to continue for 44 hours before electing to use Caesarian section? You'd have thought a day and a smidge would be enough to convince them. I'm jus' sayin'.

That's actually a great point. I thought the days of "I was in labor with you for 50 hours " were gone around the time my mother "suffered endlessly, so you might live"

Back