Need help with running Restore on my PC

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Gateway MX7118 Notebook PC with Windows Media Center Edition 2005 on it and when I try to run the restore on the system it comes up with the following error: "STOP: c000021a {Fatal System Error}
The Windows Logon Process system process terminated unexpectedly with a status of 0x0000080 (0x00000000 0x00000000).
The system has been shut down."

It gets to the point where the restore should ask if you want to do the destructive restore or not and then I get the blue screen with the above message. Anyone have any tips on how to fix this? Also I have Registry Mechanic version: 6.0.0.780 running on my system, I have no clue if that is part of the problem or not. I would greatly appreciate any assistance with this problem that any of you may have to offer.

You either have hard drive corruption or malware infected restore points.
What was your reason for doing a restore in the first place?

Here's what I suggest:

1. Do an Error Check. You give no system specs but this is the name in Windows XP (I'm guessing at this OS) that was called 'scan disc' in earlier versions of Windows.

Here's the path:
My Computer> Right click on Local Drive-usually C-> Properties> Tools tab> Error Check> check both boxes on the screen that comes up> OK> close the nag message that comes up and Reboot.

This will likely take a while if you haven''t been doing it regularly. See if this resolves the problem.

2. IF it does not, follow the directions here:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/317189

A Registry Edit is required. Be sure to backup the Registry before making any changes. Let us know your status.

Edit for spelling.

I have ran Scandisk several times and no errors detected there. My thing is I want to wipe my system clean and do a reinstall with the recovery dvd from Gateway. I have a Gateway laptop MX7118 with a Mobile AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3400+. It is running Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 with a 80GB HTS42180HAT00 Standard Disks Hard drive that is partitioned with a D-Drive for Recovery. But every time I try to do the F11 and restore it it goes to the screen that says Preparing the Restore Process then the Windows Logon Screen is suppose to come out and I get the blue screen of Death and the error message of "STOP: c000021a {Fatal System Error} The windows Logon Process system process terminated unexpectedly with a status of 0x00000080 (0x00000000 0x00000000). The System has been shut down." I contacted Gateway and my warranty is expired and the can only provide limited help. I tried to use Microsoft XP boot disks and no go there either. Can you tell me how to wipe my drive and reinstall with the Recovery DVD provided by Gateway that came with my laptop ?

don't wipe the HD -- the recovery CD will take care of everything.

mount the cd, then boot the system and enter BIOS to select Boot CD as first
device.

there's a prompt for Recovery -- you're on your way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back