TechSpot

Need HiJack This log file analyzed

By surfndude
Aug 14, 2005
  1. Hi -

Couple of weird things happened to my XP pro box after I failed to shut the machine down after a lightening storm

One strange thing is that after I log in and goto Task Manager --> users, there are no users listed. Then when I try to shutdown the system hangs at Saving User's Settings.

The other thing is when I open internet explorer, it is listed under processes in task manager but does not display, not even in the user tray.

Thanks for any suggestions/help.

Here is the log file.

Tom

2. RealBlackStuff

RealBlackStuff TS Rookie Posts: 8,165

Don't see anything...

3. surfndude

surfndude TS Rookie Topic Starter

OK thanks.. It is good to know at least it is not a piece of malicious software.

It suspect I may have a corrupted profile. I logged into the machine with administrator rights and created a new user, also with admin rights.
    When I tried to log into that new user the system hung at the "Welcome" screen when trying to apply the personal settings.

Unfortunately I do not have "system restore" turned on so I cannot go back to a previous known configuration.

Any suggestions or utilities you recommend?

Thanks again for any help.

Tom

4. RealBlackStuff

You don't get it, do you?
    I see NO attachment!

5. surfndude

Sorry - thought you meant you did not see anything in the log.

I didn't rename the file to .txt before I did the attachment process.

I'm trying again.

Tom

6. RealBlackStuff

Boot in Safe Mode.
    Switch System restore OFF, see how here.
    Next, run a HJT scan and (if still there) place a tick-mark in the little square before:

R3 - URLSearchHook: (no name) - _{CFBFAE00-17A6-11D0-99CB-00C04FD64497} - (no file)
    O4 - Global Startup: Digital Line Detect.lnk = ?
    O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {AFC3FA82-AD07-45cd-8B57-983435B9899E} - (no file)
    Fix ALL the O16 - DPF: entries

Now click on the Fix Checked button in HJT.
    Delete all files and directories from: C:\WINDOWS\Temp (except files dated from TODAY).
    Boot normal. When all OK, switch System Restore back on.

7. surfndude

Hi -

Did as you instructed above.
    After deleting entires I booted machine into normal mode and system still hangs at "Save system Settings" when shutting down.
    Ran HijackThis a second time after making your changes and appended.
    System Restore remains turned off
    Thanks for the help.

Tom

8. RealBlackStuff

You have an almighty heap of programs running from startup. The combination of resource-hoggers Norton and AOL should bring any PC down on its knees!

Click on Start/Run and type in sfc /scannow and click OK.
    Keep your Windows CD handy while you do that.

D/L and install UPHClean from MS, it's helped me with several problems like that.
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...6d-8912-4e18-b570-42470e2f3582&displaylang=en

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.