Need live CD or method to replace (not repair) BU copies of Vista BCD, bootmgr

By Debbie23
Sep 19, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Looking for options / prgms to easily BU then restore BCD, bootmgr & any others I've may have overlooked, that typically keep Vista from booting.
    I'd like to just back these up (not image them), once everything's working, & have an easy way to copy / replace the files from a live CD ? environment (even if the copies aren't on same CD as the boot disk I use), when Vista won't boot.

I have Vista Recovery Disk, but lately after a couple restores - & then had booting probs - it asked for Vista disk to repair (diff machines, using Ghost 15 or True Image Hm 2009 (updated) ) - the recov. disk rebuilt BCD, bootmgr,... but incorrectly. It changed BCD values that would NEVER allow Vista to boot (confirmed using boot disk - BootIt BM). I fixed errors w/ BootIt, but it's a pain.

One Ghost restore of a NON OS partition caused booting problems. The BU image had NOTHING except the one Applications partition - NOTHING to do w/ any OS.
    Shouldn't have affected Vista booting at all, but did. I know - you're thinking, "Must've done something wrong." Don't think so. And when wouldn't boot & used recov. disk, messed up several BCD values.
    This may be rare, but happened. I can repair these if the recov. disk doesn't do the trick, but takes time.

EasyBCD only works if some windows will boot. Again, takes time (sometimes) going thru the menu / repair steps.
    Even if could use BootIt trial ver. from boot disk forever (not install it on HDD), it's still work to find errors / make corrections.

Why bother if I had good copies to replace damaged / missing ones very quickly? Would appreciate suggestions on some boot disk that will allow copy & replace the files - whether on same boot disk or a 2nd disk (or even allow accessing copies stored on HDD) .

Thanks.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.