TechSpot

Nero 6 and service pack 3

By hcetri
Feb 23, 2009
  1. Has anyone had any problems with Nero 6 not starting up since the xp sp3 update?

2. raybay

raybay TS Evangelist Posts: 7,241   +9

Nero 6 requires the update download from Nero... it is not an easy download, because it is basically a large and complete file that takes a long time. Nero doesn't have the download system worked out, to my satisfaction, so you may have to work at getting a perfect download with repeated attempts.

3. mailpup

mailpup TS Special Forces Posts: 6,980   +362

At work I have Nero 6 with XP pro SP3 and have no such problems. In this case for what it's worth XP SP3 was installed before Nero 6.

4. raybay

True, it does not affect every computer nor every user. Still, there is a Nero download to correct the problem as it is commonly reported on some computers.

5. hcetri

hcetri TS Rookie Topic Starter

I had it installed before the update. I uninstalled sp3 but I have not had a chance to try it out yet. What is the update # for the fix?

6. hcetri

hcetri TS Rookie Topic Starter

Well I tried it to see if it worked and it did not. It will not open and it will not let me shut down my computer after trying to open. I installe dthe update and it did not work. I tried a demo version of nero 9 and it opens.

7. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 11,707   +1,887

For what it's worth...

My most recent build has XP Home SP3 installed. This was a clean install of the OS. (Gigabyte EP45-UD3R / E7300) Nero 6 was installed on top of this and updated to Ver. 6.6 (final version of the program), and it works fine. I never add all the extra content available for Nerovision 3, since it's the worst movie editing program I've ever seen, I only use it as a burning suite.

When Nero 6's updates are installed it toggles the "Start Smart" desktop icon on and off so after the program is installed I put the icon in a safe folder, in case I need it.

Nero puts some 120 useless registry entries in after the initial install so I run a mild registry cleaner soon after. This one; http://www.tweaknow.com/RegCleaner.html

Never allow Nero to be the default application for any opening any type of file WHATSOEVER!

As a guess the InCD application is most likely to cause trouble, make sure you've updated every application in the suite, not just the burning ROM

8. raybay

You might want to consider other options. You can go to www.clickcooldeals.com and get Roxio Creator 10 for $12 or Nero Burning Suite 3 for $12.50
    We have had great luck with free burner software - all can be located with a gargle search: Express Burn, Burn4Free, Blacemp.com, CDBurnerXP, The FreeCountry.com, BurnMyFiels.com, uberdownloads.com, www.nch.com.au/burn/ and others.

9. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 6,000   +15

why bother? There's plenty of free open source equivalents out there. I've found the commercial stuff to be too invasive anyway.

Try: CDburnerXP. I see ray-bay has recommended it too.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.