Net connection works with router, but not without?!

By Elendil
Jul 29, 2005
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I wanted to see if a direct connection to the internet would somehow boost my upload (considering my router is in the way usually). I'm having trouble uploading, so anyways, I plug the wire from the pc into the modem directly. I wait, it shows the hourglass on the screen for a couple of seconds, then the internet doesn't work. I try restarting, and then doing ipconfig. It still says "Disconnected". What is going on here? Do I have a faulty wire, or something?

My router is a DLink DI704P if that helps (could it have done something to the pc?).
  2. zephead

zephead TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,483

whoa, what kind of modem and internet connection type does it employ? what addressing scheme (static or dynamic)?
  3. RealBlackStuff

RealBlackStuff Newcomer, in training Posts: 8,165

Your router contains your ISP's IP-address, the default gateway and the DNS servers.
    Your PC is probably ste to: obtain IP etc. automatically. This works with a router, because that router's DHCP dispenses that info to your PC.
    To directly connect, you have to transfer the router's WAN info into your PC's TCP/IP settings.

Warning: without the router you lose the hardware firewall protection!
  4. tdeg

tdeg Newcomer, in training Posts: 348

Are you on DSL?
  5. Elendil

Elendil Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

Hey guys. I'm on cable, rogers is my service provider, and the modem is a motorola sb5100, if that helps. Realblackstuff, you're right, I checked it and it's set to obtain automatically. How would Igo about transferring the wan info to the pc's tcp/ip settings?
  6. RealBlackStuff

Go in the setup screen of your router, probably http://192.168.1.1 or .1.254 or .0.1 or .0.254
    Write down the info you find there, then change your PC's TCP/IP accordingly.
  7. Elendil

Elendil Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

Thanks, butwhere can I change those settings? Control Panel, Internet?
  8. RealBlackStuff

Start/Settings/Network Connections
    Rightclick 'Local Area Connection' and select Properties.
    Highlight Internet Protocol(TCP/IP) and click on Properties.
    Click on Use the following... and fill in the stuff.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.