Net connection works with router, but not without?!

By Elendil
Jul 29, 2005
  1. I wanted to see if a direct connection to the internet would somehow boost my upload (considering my router is in the way usually). I'm having trouble uploading, so anyways, I plug the wire from the pc into the modem directly. I wait, it shows the hourglass on the screen for a couple of seconds, then the internet doesn't work. I try restarting, and then doing ipconfig. It still says "Disconnected". What is going on here? Do I have a faulty wire, or something?

My router is a DLink DI704P if that helps (could it have done something to the pc?).
  2. zephead

zephead TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,569

whoa, what kind of modem and internet connection type does it employ? what addressing scheme (static or dynamic)?
  3. RealBlackStuff

RealBlackStuff TS Rookie Posts: 6,503

Your router contains your ISP's IP-address, the default gateway and the DNS servers.
    Your PC is probably ste to: obtain IP etc. automatically. This works with a router, because that router's DHCP dispenses that info to your PC.
    To directly connect, you have to transfer the router's WAN info into your PC's TCP/IP settings.

Warning: without the router you lose the hardware firewall protection!
  4. tdeg

tdeg TS Rookie Posts: 119

Are you on DSL?
  5. Elendil

Elendil TS Rookie Topic Starter

Hey guys. I'm on cable, rogers is my service provider, and the modem is a motorola sb5100, if that helps. Realblackstuff, you're right, I checked it and it's set to obtain automatically. How would Igo about transferring the wan info to the pc's tcp/ip settings?
  6. RealBlackStuff

Go in the setup screen of your router, probably or .1.254 or .0.1 or .0.254
    Write down the info you find there, then change your PC's TCP/IP accordingly.
  7. Elendil

Elendil TS Rookie Topic Starter

Thanks, butwhere can I change those settings? Control Panel, Internet?
  8. RealBlackStuff

Start/Settings/Network Connections
    Rightclick 'Local Area Connection' and select Properties.
    Highlight Internet Protocol(TCP/IP) and click on Properties.
    Click on Use the following... and fill in the stuff.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.