Net connection works with router, but not without?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wanted to see if a direct connection to the internet would somehow boost my upload (considering my router is in the way usually). I'm having trouble uploading, so anyways, I plug the wire from the pc into the modem directly. I wait, it shows the hourglass on the screen for a couple of seconds, then the internet doesn't work. I try restarting, and then doing ipconfig. It still says "Disconnected". What is going on here? Do I have a faulty wire, or something?

My router is a DLink DI704P if that helps (could it have done something to the pc?).

whoa, what kind of modem and internet connection type does it employ? what addressing scheme (static or dynamic)?

Your router contains your ISP's IP-address, the default gateway and the DNS servers.
Your PC is probably ste to: obtain IP etc. automatically. This works with a router, because that router's DHCP dispenses that info to your PC.
To directly connect, you have to transfer the router's WAN info into your PC's TCP/IP settings.

Warning: without the router you lose the hardware firewall protection!

Hey guys. I'm on cable, rogers is my service provider, and the modem is a motorola sb5100, if that helps. Realblackstuff, you're right, I checked it and it's set to obtain automatically. How would Igo about transferring the wan info to the pc's tcp/ip settings?

Start/Settings/Network Connections
Rightclick 'Local Area Connection' and select Properties.
Highlight Internet Protocol(TCP/IP) and click on Properties.
Click on Use the following... and fill in the stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back