TechSpot

Netflix revamps Web-based video player with new look, features

By Matthew
May 17, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Netflix has updated its Web-based video player, tweaking the look of existing controls and adding a few new ones. You'll notice that the interface is streamlined with all of the...

Read the whole story

2. Now if they would only accept Gift Cards (Visa, Mastercard, etc) I would be a Netflix customer. Oh well, Amazon takes them so I can watch videos there.

3. vandrade89

vandrade89 TS Rookie

I just gave up on Netflix. This month I decided to cancel my membership because they do not support Linux OS. I just Switch to using Ubuntu 12.04 as my main production PC and I cant use Netflix. So I saw it useless and unpractical to pay for something that I can use.

4. @ vandrade89

Yeah, I know, that's a major bummer. I was sad when I first found that out about two years ago. I think, though, that part of the blame should fall on Microsoft's Silverlight not "playing well with Linux". Although... shame on Netflix for being the only reason I have Silverlight installed on my Windows machine! How bad-*** would it be if they dedicated their resources to moving Netflix to HTML5?

5. lawfer

lawfer TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,270   +91

It's not Netflix's fault Linux doesn't support the Silverlight plugin. Blame both Microsoft and Canonical.

6. If I'm not mistaken, silverlight is going bye bye very soon.

~crosses fingers~

7. Renrew

Renrew TS Enthusiast Posts: 253   +19

Good Job Netflix. What took you so long? You could have copied Hulu a long time ago.

But, as they say down on the farm, a turd wrapped in gold is still chit.

8. howzz1854

howzz1854 TS Evangelist Posts: 602   +86

with language/sub option... can we roll out surround sound already? I am not asking lossless.. a 128kb/s AAC multi-channel will do. it really takes the experience away watching it in HD on a big TV with home theater setup and nothing to show for for sound.

9. "If I'm not mistaken, silverlight is going bye bye very soon."

Exactly, like if people needed another plugin than does the same.

10. It's Neflix's fault for going with Silverlight in the first place.

I watch Hulu and Amazon just fine on my Linux machines.

Netflix? Cancelled.

11. I'm not going back, service became **** and I hate how I cant...oh nvm I just wont return, f u netflix 1!!!

12. tonylukac

tonylukac TS Evangelist Posts: 1,309   +56

Why don't you all figure out how they get it on boxee, which is linux based. Do they?

13. No, the blame lies squarely on Linux for opposing DRM. I don't blame Microsoft for not providing DRM solutions due to Linux community's refusal to embrace DRM.