TechSpot

Network sharing problem

By banks2
Feb 21, 2004
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I have win98 and winxp home edition and on the win98 I can't access my entire c drive on the winxp.I have it sharing in the sharing and security settings,is there a setting in the admin.I can change or something else T.I.A banks2
  2. RealBlackStuff

RealBlackStuff Newcomer, in training Posts: 8,165

Welcome to TechSpot!.

Are you talking about 2 PC's or 1 PC with dual boot (W98 + XP)?
    If 1 PC, then you should know that W98 cannot access XP when XP runs with the NTFS filesystem.

If you have 2 PCs connected via a network, then the W98 PC can access XP.

Please take a few minutes and fill out the specs of your PC('s) in your user-profile (just click on "user-cp" at the top of this page).

Then explain in more detail what exactly the problem is.
  3. banks2

banks2 Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

I have 2 computers ,one with win98 the other is winxp home edition.The win98 can connect to the xp computer,but I can't access any folders or programs except desktop and my documents folders.I'd like to be able to access the entire c drive.What can I do?????

Guinness Gooood !!
  4. LNCPapa

LNCPapa TS Special Forces Posts: 4,291   +263

Access the drive via the hidden administrative shares of C$ for your C Drive and X$ for any other drives. You'll have to use the administrator account and password though. You're map will look something like:
    \\%Machine Name%\C$
  5. RealBlackStuff

RealBlackStuff Newcomer, in training Posts: 8,165

On the XP-machine, in Explorer rightclick the C-drive and select "Sharing...". Mark Share this folder and give the drive a new name. Then click Permissions. Add the username/password of the W98-pc, who presumably is entered in one or more of your user-groups on the XP-pc.
    Make sure that both PCs are in the same Workgroup.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.