networking problems

By dmcd11
Oct 26, 2007
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. My pc was networked to my 15 year old sons pc by a router that says it is called "D-Link" 2.4 GHZ wireless router.

My son was playing with the settings I think yesterday and now he cant get access to the internet

I didnt set up the network (I paid someone ages ago) and I dont know much about pc's and I cant afford to get anyone out again

Is there some way I can fix it myself??

I have tried system restore and it doesnt work

can anyone help us?

thank you
  2. Nodsu

Nodsu Newcomer, in training Posts: 9,431

If you messed up the router, then restoring your PC is not going to help.

The first thing would be to dig out the router's manual (should be downloadable from D-Link's website) and find out how to do a "factory reset". That is unless you have a tiny button on the router saying "reset" or something.

If the thing doesn't work with factory defaults, follow the setup guide in the manual.
  3. dmcd11

dmcd11 Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

the router shows on my sons pc.........as being "on" yet it doesnt connect to the internet.

thats why I thought it must be the pc.

sorry I'm not good at explaining..........any idea's??
  4. tipstir

tipstir TS Ambassador Posts: 4,576   +76

Which D-link Model you have?
  5. dmcd11

dmcd11 Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

I have this model DI-614+
  6. Ph30nIX

Ph30nIX Newcomer, in training Posts: 359

Off the top of my head, that model is jst a router, so you must have a cable connection coming into it, or a connection from a modem. If its cable, verify that it works on a sigle PC without the router.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.