TechSpot

Neurologists: Apple is like a religion

By Emil
May 20, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. UK neuroscientists have found that Apple imagery activates the same parts of the brain in Apple fanboys that religious imagery does in followers of that religion. In heated arguments on…

Read the whole story

2. Man...I have years trying to prove that...thanks!!! how do i join the research team?

3. madboyv1

madboyv1 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,333   +267

I suspect most other big/popular brands will have a similar result, but trying this out with Apple first is both appropriate, and funny. :)

4. I went to best buy the other day to test out the xoom/iPad2. I told my mother "Apple products dont intrigue me." so she is like apple products are best and only smart people use them.

/sigh society

5. Now we have the answer of why ppl go against logic and support shitty things, they disrupted the diversity transforming it into mind control LOL... true but i knew it...weak minds

6. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 9,342   +622

and you think PC advocates are any different LOL, ROF - - just look at the zealous fervor here at TS.

@guest ::
    Mother almost had it right

"smart people use whatever is in front of them and available to do the job"

ps: now watch the fur fly :giggle:

7. andreasf93

andreasf93 TS Rookie Posts: 25

Wth.. why so serious?

8. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 9,342   +622

Serious? naa - - just making the point that frequently zealots revert to calling the kettle black when what we need is tolerance and free choice :)

9. I believe it. As someone who has run several computing depts in at a very large University the fervor in which Apple users speak about their products and slander others is beyond compare. I have always compared many of their users to a cult.

For the record I support 5000 users and of them about 700 apple users and there is no comparison the Apple users are the most vocal individuals I have ever had the pleasure/displeasure to serve.

10. example1013

example1013 TS Enthusiast Posts: 265

Apple is a brand, like any other. Part of being a brand is that people who are loyal to the brand irrationally consider their products better. This should be news to nobody that both religious fanatics and Apple fanatics use the same parts of their brains to not think.

11. nickblame

nickblame TS Enthusiast Posts: 43

what in Apples name errr in Gods name is this?!? How can you compare that stuff I really don't get. If apple stops making good products it will eventually get dumped. People then will seek new cults. Oh right I get it now you're right.

12. If you think this is interesting you should read, 'The Religion of Technology' by David Nobel, an excellent book in this field.

13. LinkedKube

LinkedKube TechSpot Project Baby Posts: 3,481   +44

lmao, this is so going on my fb status.

14. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 11,702   +1,886

Now, now, we'll have no more blasphemy from you. And in the future, I expect you'll address Mr. Jobs as, "Your Most App-Holiest"!

15. herpaderp

herpaderp TS Booster Posts: 151

inb4 McDonalds :\

16. DokkRokken

DokkRokken TS Rookie Posts: 267

You'll get this in almost any field. I work with people who seem to believe Snap-On tools are forged from the bones of Christ. Or, Harley Davidson riders.

Apple is the tech crowd's 'Harley'. You buy into the 'lifestyle.' And even though Apple products are so ubiquitous, their owners believe they have something very personalized and different from everyone else.

17. example1013

Amusingly enough, I'm actually an Apple user myself, and have been all my life. I just recognize that my enjoyment comes largely from the software and support ends, rather than the hardware ends. The fact that Apple's machines are so damn pretty is nothing but a bonus.

18. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 11,702   +1,886

I think they should release the Apple logo as s silver pendant.

Now focus on the swinging Apple, and start counting backward from a hundred. You are getting hungry, hungry, hungry for Apple's next product. When I snap my fingers, you'll wake feeling refreshed, and go stand in line and wait for it.

If you didn't get the message, it's because I was holding the pendant wrong. In the trade it's called, "hypno-dropout".

19. Cota

Cota TS Enthusiast Posts: 513   +8

Awesome, now Mac Fa... Cult Boys will be mad for a time and will start blocking streets and yell white power :\

20. example1013

Please no. People would actually start wearing it as bling.

21. ravisunny2

ravisunny2 TS Ambassador Posts: 1,980   +11

Wonderfully put, Captain!

22. Archean

Archean TechSpot Paladin Posts: 5,682   +86

I'm so busy watching Senna, that I am not bothered about it; beside I don't want to attract herds of iSheeps distracting me from what I am doing :D

23. peperonikiller

peperonikiller TS Member Posts: 75

You should not buy the $20 knock off brand bible. Instead buy our $2000 bible that is exactly the same just with an Apple logo on it.

24. lawfer

lawfer TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,270   +91

"Your Most App-Holiest"

Haha, ok, seriously, who didn't laugh at this?

25. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TS Evangelist Posts: 2,753   +1,107

It all started in 1984 when Apple introduced the Macintosh to the world... in a commercial featuring a spoof on the movie 1984. (google 'apple 1984 commercial')

How prophetic. haha