New Atlantis 9800 256 MB garbles all display

Status
Not open for further replies.
My new card has brought about an interesting turn of events. My old radeon 7000 64 MB works fine, but i needed an upgrade for games and what not.
I install my shiny new 256 MB radeon 9800, power up the system, and get garbled displays across my screen, nothing even close to being legible. I uninstalled my old 7000 drivers and installed the 9800 ones off the cd it came with. What elso am I forgeting? I know i"m missing something. Thanks for any input!!

ASUS KT4AV
512 MB mem.
80 GB seagate barracuda HD
AMD Athlon 1900+
DVD Drive
CD-RW Drive
Sapphire Atlantis Radeon 9800 256MB Vid card.

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Boot into safe mode and go to add remove programmes.

Uninstall any driver software for your video card.

Then go to device manager and uninstall your display adaptor.

Reboot in normal mode and cancel any found new hardware prompt that you get.Make sure any antivirus you are using is disabled.

Go to the ATI website and download and install the latest drivers.

Regards Howard :grinthumb

Also, at the bottom of the ATi driver download page there is a link to Catalyst Uninstaller, that is used to get rid a ALL things related to ATi. After running that, you might want to download Driver Cleaner, and run the Cab Cleaner and Driver Cleaner funtion to be sure you are getting a clean start with the new drivers. Then try and install the new drivers again.

Hope this helps. Let us know.

Edit: Just thought about your power supply. How big is it and what brand do you have. I'm not sure if a to small power supply would cause this kind of problem, but you did make a BIG updrade, and your power supply might not be able to handle the new power hungry card. It's possible you might need to get a bigger power supply. And if I'm not mistaken, your new card requires a power cord to be plugged into it also, if so did you do that. It requires more power than the AGP slot can provide. Somebody correct me on that if I'm wrong.

tried everything you guys threw my way, still no help though. I'm beginning to think I got a bad apple in the way of cards.

ps Power Supply is 380 W

ozziecat35 said:
tried everything you guys threw my way, still no help though. I'm beginning to think I got a bad apple in the way of cards.

ps Power Supply is 380 W

It may well be that your new video card is bad.

The only other suggestion I can think of is to clear your cmos.

Sorry that I`ve been unable to help you out.

Regards and good luck Howard :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back