New Build won't Start

Status
Not open for further replies.

Placebos

I just finished building this computer and everything is together and it wont start up.
I took a look at it and notice i plugged the red 6 pin power connector to the mobo instead of the regular 4 pin. I changed that, removed the RAM and GPU nothing at all. No lights, nothing.
Specs:

PSU: OCZ Fatality 400 watt
CPU: Intel quad core 8200
FAN: Arctic cooling freezer pro 7
MOBO: Gigabyte GA-EP45T-UD3LR

I am at your mercy.

Hi Placebos,
dont be insulted by this question, its easy to miss, and have to start here. i assume you went through all the connections and made sure they are secure and all in the right place?, second is the recessed 115/230 switch in the right position? and did you turn the main I/O switch on the psu on? cause it sounds like your PSU isnt getting the signal from the BIOS to start up.

Hey Red,
Not insulted at all. I actually originally missed the psu switch itself. I also did check the 115/230 switch but it didn't seem to have any. i went through what i believe is most the connections, the main ones anyway. Is there a way to tell if i somehow screwed up the mobo and chip?

Your motherboard is not screwed up. You have missed something obvious. We have all done it and know how you feel.
Look for a bad cable or bad connector, or a plug into the wrong socket on the motherboard. Just take your time. Be rested.
Tell us what you figgered out.

Now that you mentioned it, when i took a look at the motherboard power connector, one of the pins was missing a wire. I found it kind of odd...but figured it couldnt be that since the whole wire was missing. I am talking about the 20-pin connector.

that may be it, it actually should be a 24 pin connector, they come as a 20 + 4 pin. do you have the 4 pin addition plugged in as well?

Yes i am using pin connector and the pin thats missing the cable is the 8th from the psu side....if that makes sense...

Alright i took the psu back to the store and explained it and they said that its supposed to be like that. i even got them to test it right in front of me and it worked. So the psu is deffinetly not the problem....i got thermal paste, maybe ill try reseating the cpu and double check the pins...hope to god i didnt burn the cpu and or mobo.

Also with the psu, theres a red 6 pin connector i am not sure what its for exactly, any idea?

the six pin connector is a pcie connector (power connector for a graphics card)

the additional +4 connector for the main 24 pin only would go on one way. btw when you tried to start it with the six pin instead of the 4 pin for the motherboard power, did it do anything? fans-lights anything?

i hope not either, but its starting to sound like that. this is a long shot but look at your motherboard manual, and find the jumper pin that is for clearing the cmos. make sure 1) its there 2) that its in the correct position, and 3) that it has the metal insert inside the jumper.

Odd thing is when i did have the 6 pin connector instead of the 4 pin, when i turned it on the first time (and only the first time) i would hear a small and faint buzzing/beeping. it only lasted for not even a second but it was there. Don't know where it came from.

that beep was the case speaker giving you an error code telling you why it flunked the P.O.S.T
power on self test. no doubt from the incorrect PSU hookup

the case comes with a speaker usaully. its only for the error codes, and you would not hear it unless there is a problem.
they are usaully mounted face down on the bottom of the case, or in front under the HDD cage,

Well i am still not sure that its the speaker because i didnt connect a speaker connector expect for the front panel one....hmm i will have to play with it when i get home again.

Ok so i reseated the cpu and reapplied the paste and attached the cpu fan, plugged in the 4 pin connecter, plugged in the 24 pin connector, pluuged in cpu fan in to mobo....still nothing!!!

Im almost on the brink of giving up!

Any ideas ?

lol yeaaa but i checked it

but the thing its not clear on is, do i put the jumper cap on then trun the comp on? and ontop of that....there is no jumper cap that i can find that came with it...it says to also try touching the pins with a screwdriver for a few seconds aswell....but do i do that with the computer in the on position?

no i just looked it up. open is the default. wanted to check it cuz it wont start if its in the wrong position, so its not that :(

Im starting to wonder about the six pin being plugged into the 4 pin mobo power when you powered up the first time

sigh, well i removed the battery just in case and put it back in....well if i cant figure it out, ill bring it back to the shop and get them to figure it out :(

go to number 11) in your manual, make sure you have this hooked up correctly

11) F_PANEL (Front Panel Header)
Connect the power switch, reset switch, speaker and system status indicator on the chassis front
panel to this header according to the pin assignments below. Note the positive and negative pins
before connecting the cables.

page 27 (it also makes mention of the case speaker i was talking about)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back