New card recommendations?

Status
Not open for further replies.

megabomination

HI all. Im upgrsding to DDR3(E6500,GA-G41MT-ES2L) and a new video card. Just wondering if anyone has some experience/ feedback on these cards that im looking at. XFX GT240,
GIGABYTE GT240/250 and ASUS 9800GT. I know they are all close to one another im just wondering if anyone has some good advise for me. Thanks

Presuming that the card is for gaming then you're best bet from the cards you've listed is the GTS250.
The lower priced (and performing) GT240 and (slightly better) 9800GT would most likely struggle with some games at 1680x1050. If you are gaming at 1280x1024 then not an issue with any of the cards. The GTS 250 would affords a better gaming experience at the higher resolution.
Are these cards your only options? If you aren't AMD-phobic I would seriously consider the HD 5750 (or if your budget can stretch, then the HD 5770). The HD 5750 offers comparable performance to the GTS 250 and offers more going forward as drivers mature for the series. If pricing in Aus is close to NZ pricing then both cards should be similarly priced.

I'll definitely second DBZ.

Out of curiosity, what are the other components you're opting for?

Thanks both. As i said im upgrading to DDR3,im hindered by a budget and im only upgrading as my AGP card(7300GT) sh*t itself and i cant see the reason in getting another AGP card for the price v performance ratio. Besides the afor mentioned CPU and MOBO i'll probably get 4GB of RAM(Corsair CMV4GX3M2A1333C9) or maybe only 2GB of RAM(TW3X2G1600C9D) ?? Beside these main components i currently have an Silverstone 500W PSU,Samsung HD501LJ 500GB HDD,Windows XP SP3,SONY DVD RW DRU-840A and a 19" 1400*900 Monitor. Im not AMD phobic so i guess i would consider the AMD options. I priced a ASUS 9800GT from a local PC store and was told to get a GT240 as they are the "replacement" card for the 9800GT but from what i can tell the 9800GT is the better card and i would prefer to spend a little more cash and get a better card the first time however the GT240 and even theGT250 are cheaper cards! Are there any card makers that seem to make better cards? i.e. do ASUS tend to make better cards than INNO 3D for example? Any help appreciated!

Well, some manufacturers have a better reputation in the market. XFX is one such brand because of their excellent quality and lifetime product warranty.

As for ASUS and INNO 3D, both are good manufacturers.

I was firstly looking at a XFX GT250. I think i might spend the extra money and be happy! Could you also tell me if a PCI-E V2.0 must be used with a v2.0 MOBO?

Thanks. I've been reading reviews etc.. and pretty much decided on the XFX GTS250 DDR3 1GB. I seem to cover all requirements such as PSU ect... and the card can use direct x9 or 10. Will directx 10 work with XP or is it for vista only?

imo i would get the ati 4850 or 4870 over the other selections you have from nvidia but thats just my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back