New computer build

mako man

Hello tech spotters I hope all is well. Hopefully my buddies are still here because I'm trying to build a computer and I need some advise. This computer is used for home use primarily gaming, photos, and some video work. Parts will be purchased from Micro Center, and New Egg.

I am presently looking to use the following components:

1). Intel I-7 930 processor

2). Asus P6X58D-E motherboard

3). Mushkin redline 6GB 3x2GB DDR3-1600 model 998805. Allready purchased

4).Corsair CMPSU 850HW modular PSU. Allready purchased

5). Windows 7 home 64 bit

6). Tower HAF 922 i think

7). Samsung spin point 1TB hard drive. Allready purchased

I need help with a video card setup. I'm thinking GTX460SLI or HD 5870 now then adding another to CF down the road when prices drop. Whatever setup I decide on I would like it cool running yet quiet.

I appreciate your input.

Hey Capt how was dancing with the stars? Did you enjoy it this year? I did.

AT which point of time in the future do you think you'll be adding a second HD 5870? Prices might drop only when ATI come out with their 6000 Series cards - not before. They are expected to be released in the 2nd half of 2011.

I would opt for the GTX 460 SLI to get the best possible performance now.

NOTE: I've been reading that the 1GB versions of the GTX 460 perform significantly better than the stock 768 MB counterparts. Make sure you do your research carefully before picking the card.

Ritwik

I'm not really in a rush to add the second card (HD5870). The card I was looking at is an EVGA GTX460 1GB 256 super clocked EE model. I like EVGA since Rage hooked me up with them a couple of years ago. I was just considering the 5870 so I wasn't locked into the 460 down the road. I figured 2 %*&)'s would probably be better than 460 sli.

One thing that freightens me a bit is the problems I'm reading about concerning the ATI drivers especially in cross fire.

Which would you choose? I'm on the fence. Thanks

One thing that freightens me a bit is the problems I'm reading about concerning the ATI drivers especially in cross fire.
Of course, there are always issues with dual GPU setups, but IMO its nothing to worry about, remember that SLI 460's may also result in problems. You might have to disable one card temporarily until the newest drivers fix the problem, if you have any.

Hm...the choice is very hard actually.

I'm not really in a rush to add the second card (HD5870).

Like I said before, if you're looking to get the best performance for the money then go with the GTX 460 SLI.

What resolution are is your screen? Because GTX 460 SLI/5870 CF might be overkill anyway

Resolution 1920X.

I will have to read up on Windows 7 Pro. I'm not familiar with the advantages.

How do you guys feel about Nividia VS ATi?

Do you feel there is an advantage to a single card like a GT 480 or HD 5970?

I guess the main advantage of a Single card setup is that you don't have to have any extra driver updates for SLI or Crossfire to work and therefore less chance of running into problems. Also takes less power to run and is usually cheaper (but not always). Although you must take performance into consideration.

I would personally go for the 1GB 460 SLI setup as per the techspot review shows that they are cooler and less power hungry than the ATI Equivalent plus the 1GB model runs very well at that resolution.

Also I believe Techspot (although DBZ may have given me a link i'm not sure) did an artical "SLI vs CrossFire" and SLI scales a lot better.

Again though, your choice really. you probably would save a bit of cash on 2 460's.

Thank you. I still have to sleep on the GPU.

What cooler would you recommend that would mount to the Asus board?

Two GTX 460s would be a better deal, but as Burty said, you'd need to rely a lot on good drivers for the best possible performance. A single card like the 5870 would lessen this dependence to a significant degree.

Also consider the HD 5850; it isn't very far from the HD 5870 performance-wise, but is a good $100 cheaper. This one is covered by XFX's Double Lifetime Warranty as well, in case you'd wanna sell it in the future. The 5850 is about on par with the GTX 470, and is worth the extra $60-70 over the GTX 460. However, bear in mind that two 5850s do NOT perform as well (currently at least; new drivers may change this) as two GTX 460s. The 460s simply PWN the ATI cards. Keep this in mind if you REALLY need a dual-GPU solution.

Also, are you considering a multi-screen EyeFinity\Surround setup?

For a cooler, I recommend this as an excellent choice.

Hello Rage, I hope all is well. Glad you jumped into the conversation. Since my last entry I purchased two 460GTX cards so I have to hope we get it up and running. My local computer store says he will set the SLI up for me.

I have two questions:

1). How do I know if the 460's are infact running in SLI mode?

2). Will the cooler you recommended require a back plate or any other hardware that I may need to purchase?

Thanks again

Okay I waited for the intel processers to drop in price, and I just picked up the Intel I-7 950. I waited for the 950 since I probably wont overclock in the near future unless I find someone knowledgeable enough to do it for me.

My question is should I stay with the Asus P6X58D-E or another model? I like Asus products, but should I consider another brand? Thank you

Okay I waited for the intel processers to drop in price, and I just picked up the Intel I-7 950. I waited for the 950 since I probably wont overclock in the near future unless I find someone knowledgeable enough to do it for me.

My question is should I stay with the Asus P6X58D-E or another model? I like Asus products, but should I consider another brand? Thank you

I would stick with Asus or gigabyte for quality reasons. These boards come with software that will take all the fun out of OC'ing if you want them too. Asus Turbo V will do it for you, and do a really nice job. If you want help though, just let me know.:)

Back