New computer, new graphics card and now computer has no power

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got a Nvidia geforce 9800 gtx +

I also just got a new computer 2 months ago. I put in the graphic card and start playing a game. I decided to play this other game which was more graphic intense and set everything to high. I was running good untill 1 minute later my computer automaticlly reboots. I lowered the resolution and the game ran for 10 minutes before automatically rebooting. After one last time it rebooted again but this time there happen to be no power at all to my pc. I pushed the on switch and it wont turn on. I open my Computer and everything is connected. There is a button near my ram that looks like a mini power button. If I turn on my computer with the switch in the back the button lights up red. but the main power button in the front doesnt turn on the pc.

my question is why did my pc turn off when playing games?
did my power supply just die... that second?
What is that small power button near the ram for?

This is what is in my computer

CPU: Intel(R) CoreT i7-930 2.80 GHz 8M L3 Cache LGA1366
FAN: Asetek 510LC Liquid Cooling System 120MM Radiator & Fan (Enhanced Cooling
Performance + Extreme Silent at 20dBA)
HDD: Single Hard Drive (500GB SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 16MB Cache 7200RPM HDD [-35])
MOTHERBOARD: Asus P6T SE Intel X58 Chipset CrossFireX Mainboard Triple-Channel
DDR3/1600 SATA RAID w/ eSATA
MEMORY: 6GB (2GBx3) DDR3/1333MHz Triple Channel Memory
POWERSUPPLY: 450 Watts Standard Case Power Supply

VIDEO: ATI Radeon HD 4350 512MB DDR2 PCI-Express DVI-I & TVO (Major Brand
Powered by ATI) which I changed to the geforce 9800 gtx +

With the rebooting that you had prior taken into account, I'd say that your power supply is the culprit. "450 Watts Standard Case Power Supply" is not generally recognized as a good brand! - what was the Amperage on the 12v rail/s ? -I say 'was', because you are going to need another PSU -preferably a with a better specification.
Your HD4350 was a very low spec/low power consumption graphics card (around 25 watts maximum) and you've swapped it out for a card that could/does use 145-150 watts. Add in a 130 watt CPU, triple channel RAM and some peripherals and I'd say you're drawing enough current to keep a good quality 450w power supply busy.
If you're lucky, installing the new power supply should have you back up and running...if not, then you'll have some troubleshooting ahead. Was the computer built for you, or bought pre-built ? My guess is that the power supply was deemed adequate for a HTPC graphics card (the aforementioned HD4350) but probably didn't have a lot of headroom for upgrading to a gaming card.

BTW The small button next to the memory slots near the edge of the board is in fact an onboard power button. Handy for powering up the board outside of a chassis.

The computer was built for me from a company. My brother would always build my computers but he is in the army.

I had a feeling that was the problem. If you dont mind can you give me a name of a reasonable power supply. If I take out the graphic card wouldn't the computer turn on or did I just completely fry it from using all that power at that time?

Take a look at THIS power supply. Reasonably priced and good performance.

However, if you want to be more future proof and take into consideration any upgrading possibilities, the Corsair 650TX might be the best buy.

Ritwik7, I got the 650w power-supply. Nice price with a rebate. I installed it and my computer is back. I am about to play a video game and I really really hope that it doesn't shut off again. Thanks for the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back