New Computer Turns Itself Off -- POSSESSED?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi. I am new to the site, and am not sure if I posted this in the correct forum, but I was hoping someone could help me anyway. I just got a great deal on a new Emac, but when I try to use it, it shuts itself off. This usually happens when I try to run a program or access the internet, in other words, when the computer starts running harder. I live in a 100+ year old apartment building, and the wiring is very old. Other people in the building, however, hve no such problems. I went to a computer store, and they suggested a new surge protector. This did not help, but whenever I plug the surge bar in, the light comes on to indicate faulty wiring. Does anyone have any ideas as to what the problem is or how to fix it? I would appreciate any suggestions I can get.
Thanks!

Get a volt-meter and check that you even get your correct voltage, 115v in the USA,
220-240v in most European countries.
Your old building might give you only let's say 95v. Enough for the TV and fridge, but not good enough for a PC.
You could try a laptop, they are less critical when charging their batteries.

As an afterthought: try unplugging the nearest large electricity-user, then try the PC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back