New laptop slow - some tips required

jonboysylvan

hi there
I have just bought an acer aspire 5741G laptop that has intel core i3-350m (2.26Ghz) processor, 4GB ram, ATI HD 5470 dedicated graphics, - so expected it to be pretty fast. But at present it is slower to load up or to open firefox than my previous ancient 800mhz desktop with its 256MB of ram - feel it may be the vast amount of stuff running as processes - but afraid to delete anything i shouldn't.

can someone point me in the right direction as a newbie where I can start to clear out things that are slowing it down?

i am using acer notebooks since 2005 and to tell u the truth, they stuff more junk lately than in the past 5 years. get yourself a portable Revo Uninstaller software, and delete stuffs that you don't need. but the most important part is the startup folder.

if you're using revo, go to the 'tools' and autorun manager and check stuffs that you don't need. alternatively you can run msconfig and go to the startup tab.

if you're in doubt just post a screenshot.

Same problem

Hey i had the same problem a few months ago. You should contact acer because usually its a problem with the processor and they'll probably ask you to return it back to the store so they can maybe troubleshoot the problem or fix it. And if that doesn't work then you should just ask for a refund and return it within the warranty.

You can start by just adjusting the programs you currently have if you're afraid to uninstall things. When you start what does it open? If you don't use it go into w/e program it is and disable it from starting at log on.

Also I find the normal "Anti-Virus" they install on most brand systems is a complete resource hog, I'd remove it and install something lighter like Avira Free.

after your OS boots up, press Crtl + alt+ del, and run the task manager, which among those processes contributes to the most memory consumption?.

I have a acer aspire 5532, and they keep telling you to register your product at the startup ,

1)You should register your product with the global site or else it will keep telling you to register during startup.

2)go to run , then type in 'msconfig' and in the startup tab and disable those things that you don't want in the start-up. This will make things better

3)use a anti-virus program

4) use the ready-boost feature to increase your speed .

You should take a look at this, it will help you a lot

https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic58483.html

Contact Acer immediately! Yes, some manufacturers put a lot of crapware on the computer but from what you describe, you have a bigger problem.

Back