New Mobo

Status
Not open for further replies.

GThomp6654

I was looking at getting a new mobo to try and get the most out of my Q6600 processor, and I was wondering what people thought of the Asus P5QD Turbo?

Any thoughts would be most appreciated

Whats wrong with your current motherboard?
If you didn't already know, motherboards don't make CPU's faster, and if your doing this for gaming, a better graphics card would be much more helpful.

I have the Asus P5KPL-AM, which won't let me get any where when OC'ing (about 2.8 is the best stable I have got)

I am not the biggest gamer, it is more for video editing use

I have the Asus P5KPL-AM, which won't let me get any where when OC'ing (about 2.8 is the best stable I have got)
While it is a good motherboard, it probably won't get you too much further. 2.8 is decent for a Q6600 as far as i've seen. It certainly won't justify the cost.

It might be better to just save up for an upgrade, an i5 750 would do much better than a Q6600, its a very old processor now.

My wife believes in false economy lol

As in, she would prefer me to spend £100 now, rather than spend a few hundred in a few months.

Ahh well, its your decision, but just remember that its likely you won't see a major improvement.
Better to stay up to date than invest in older generations IMO.

i totally agree with you hellokitty[hk]. i think what i will have to do is set up a secret bank account and save some cash that way. lol

Against better advice by hellokitty[hk] I did buy a new mobo, so I thought I would give an update:

I now have a nice stable OC of 3.4ghz and am enjoying myself haha

I have however started a saving fund to upgrade to a i5 system so wish me luck with that lol

Nice speed bump. Glad to see the dark side is strong in you.
If you have the G0 stepping (sSpec SLACR) 3.4 should be well stable. 3.6 on air is usually do-able with that CPU.

I have however started a saving fund to upgrade to a i5 system so wish me luck with that lol
Good luck, though you would be $100 closer to an i5 or i3 if you didn't buy it of course.

PQ5 is a great motherboard and all, but I don't think it really justifies the price when you already have a decent motherboard. Hopefully now you can sell your old one though.

Nice speed bump. Glad to see the dark side is strong in you.
If you have the G0 stepping (sSpec SLACR) 3.4 should be well stable. 3.6 on air is usually do-able with that CPU.

Unfortunately I have the older B3 stepping, so 3.4 is probably the best I will get lol

Good luck, though you would be $100 closer to an i5 or i3 if you didn't buy it of course..
alright HK, no reason to hen peck the lad! :p ;)

HaHa, it’s all good, I think I am getting used to it now, after all it is a very valid point that was raised

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back