New mobo

Sucoi

Hi i want to buy a new pc, im a hardcore gamer, i dont make overclock but i pretend to do it in the future. I chose a i7 3820 but i cant chose the new mobo. I dont know if i pick the saberthooth x79 or the rampage 4 formula.Thx for ur help

Hi i want to buy a new pc, im a hardcore gamer, i dont make overclock but i pretend to do it in the future. I chose a i7 3820 but i cant chose the new mobo. I dont know if i pick the saberthooth x79 or the rampage 4 formula.Thx for ur help

They both look like great boards. To me the Rampage looks like the better board in terms of features. Although the sabertooth does offer a lower price. It all comes down to how much you want to spend. If you don't mind the bump in price I would go for the rampage. If price is of concern and you do not mind for the extra bells and whistles like quad SLI/CFX W/ latest generation PCIe then go for the sabertooth.

I did notice the Sabertooth did offer some cool features regarding cooling. That personally would be a plus in my book.

Wait to see what everyone else says. I would also check out the reviews from the customers. They both earned 4eggs at Newegg. See what people liked and disliked and make a choice.

I'd rather wait a few months for Ivy Bridge and USB 3.0 to go fully mainstream, then ponder my options. In either case, Sabertooth sounds promising.
Simplest way is: Know thy needs, Know thy budget, Read the reviews.

You should check out one of the recent reviews of the new 7 series boards.
Here is the link https://www.techspot.com/guides/519-intel-z77-panther-point-chipset/

It has great information regarding the boards as they are now and future. Such as native support for usb 3.0. Hope this helps you with your decision a bit.

I also want to reinforce Marnomancer's point. It never hurts to wait and see how things unfold. You might even see a drop in prices eventually. Especially on the higher end 6 series boards. Which all you would need to do is a bios update to support ivy bridge processors.

But if i buy a 7 series board it will suport the i7 3820? Cause ive already bought it the cpu.

But if i buy a 7 series board it will suport the i7 3820? Cause ive already bought it the cpu.
Yes, the 7Series boards support the new ivy bridge processors.

I`ll probably wait then thx for u help, and a u guys recomend any cpu fan? thx again

I`ll probably wait then thx for u help, and a u guys recomend any cpu fan? thx again
Whats your budget? There are alot of good options on the market for aftermarket CPU cooling.
If your on a tight budget the Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO is popular and efficient.
If money isn't really a issue, I personally use the Corsair H80 and it works very well.

EDIT: If you are not going for any high OC's and just want something better then the lousy stock fan. I really recommend grabbing the Hyper 212 EVO. Its cheap and it doesn't sound like a airplane is in your case.

Whoa wait a minute... an i7 3820 is SB-E not compatible with a Z77 motherboard. The OP correctly mentioned that he needs an X79 mobo and there seems to be some confusion in the posts after that.

And the X79 boards do not support Ivy Bridge.

Ohhh wow that was my hiccup, not paying attention to what I was reading. Although, I have read that the upcoming Ivy Bridge-E cpu's will be compatible with the new X79 boards. So my statement wasn't entirely incorrect. I have no idea why I though the individual was talking about a Ivy bridge CPU in my first post. I think i will refrain from posting for while and just spectate :p

I have no idea why I though the individual was talking about a Ivy bridge CPU in my first post.

Heh it's probably because of Intel's messed up numbering since the Bloomfield/Lynnfield days. All i7's should be socket 2011 (SB-E, IB-E) and i3/i5's should be socket 1155 (SB, IB) but that's probably too sensible :)

Back