New motherboard and processor

By start
Oct 30, 2008
  1. Hello,

I need to replace a motherboard and a processor for my desktop computer. The computer is mostly used for internet use and emails. Maybe some game play.

This is what I had before:

Processor ( [939-pin] AMD® Athlon-64 X2 4200+ CPU w/ Hyper Transport Technology )

Motherboard ( Gigabyte GA-K8NF9 nVidia nForce4 Chipset w/7.1 Sound, Gb LAN, S-ATA Raid, USB 2.0, IEEE-1394 PCI-E Motherboard )

Let me know what you guys recommend for a good motherboard and processor. Thanks!
  2. CCT

CCT TS Evangelist Posts: 2,653   +6

Buy a new comp. You are wasting money re-placing that stuff.

My BEST advice.
  3. start

start TS Rookie Topic Starter

I can't afford a new PC right now. Are these two components that expensive?
  4. CCT

OK - if you REALLY REALLY want that stuff, then Google them - be specific with the numbers - usually NEW is NCIX or Newegg or similar.

Ebay if you use PayPal - if not, don't!

You might want to describe WHY you need both a mobo and cpu tho'.

5. gguerra

gguerra TS Maniac Posts: 317

You are forgetting RAM which you will most likely need with a new mobo. Also your older power supply needs to have the right connections for the new board such as cpu fan, 24-pin main power etc. Also check to see if the new board will support your drives. I assume you have IDE hard drive and CD/DVD drive. Also know that before you change the motherboard set your hard drive to use generic IDE drivers unless you want to reload windows. You could probably buy a decent barebones system (no monitor) for the same price..
  6. start

I just need to replace the motherboard and CPU to get this computer working again because apparently the problem is a harline fracture or motherboard failure from short. The PC store couldn't tell if it was the processor or motherboard that was bad. Maybe my best option is buying a new PC?
  7. CCT

CPU's are tough as nails, really. As are motherboards if inside a case and fastened down well.

So maybe you shoud restart this issue with a description of the symptoms of the failure and etc.

We DO TRY!
  8. start

Okay, here is the description/diagnoses the PC repair store came to: "machine had no video and it seemed like fans were idly spinning, attempted replacing power supply, ram, video cards, no popped caps, may be harline fracture or motherboard failure from short. Even when removing ram from the machine it would not have any beep codes for missing hardware, hard drive passed externally."
  9. CCT

OK - your cpu is an expensive item and they didn't test it. Why not?

No matter! Did you have any symptoms of overheat (slow operation, etc) before the failure?

If not, I'd suggest you get the mobo (from a place that will accept RMA's) and try rebuilding using your present cpu.
  10. Cinders

Cinders TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 872   +12

The only real problem you're going to have if you decide to purchase another socket 939 motherboard is finding a good new board. All of the good old boards are gone. No longer in stores. You can find used motherboards, but I don't know if you want a used board.

Upgrading to a new socket type would require that you purchase new memory, new processor, new motherboard and you'd have to make sure that your new motherboard had a four pin twelve volt power connector to match your old power supply and if you had an ATA hard drive as apposed to a SATA hard drive you'd have to make sure the motherboard had two forty pin ATA ports so you wouldn't have to attach an optical ROM drive on the same cable as your hard drive.
  11. JimShady23

JimShady23 TS Maniac Posts: 373

Cheap solutions

Your cheapest bet is right here,,,,These are probably just overstock stuff guys are getting rid of. They ARE NEW apparently. I can garuntee you that your CPU is just fine. Besides bent pins they are tough... Replace the mobo and be done with it....You still have plenty of life left in that system for what you do.|66:2|65:12|240:1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14|66:2|65:12|240:1308&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14|66:2|65:12|240:1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.