New motherboard old windows

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm trying to use my windows XP thats loaded on a hard drive from an older dell, on a new computer I pieced together. It starts in safe mode just fine, but when I try to boot up normally, an error message comes up. It says something to the extent of : if this is the first time u see this message restart your computer, if you've seen it before do one of these things....
It also lists a stop code: 0x0000007E (0xC0000005, 0xBA3BE174, 0xF7909D44, 0xF7909A40)
I have a Bart PE boot disk if that is of any help....

The WinXP is registered to the old Dell's hardware, which is part of XPs activation process. If you are going to use that hard drive with XP on it, then you will have to quit using it on the older Dell, and will have to call Microsoft to activate that install to your new computer.

Not only re-activating, your real problem is the different hardware requires completely different drivers for XP. You need to look up and install all the XP drivers for your new motherboard. Even then it may not work, because of conflicts with existing drivers and so forth. In general, only a completely fresh installation of Windows can give you a sure result, and of course, you have no install CD do you?

Whether you can get away with borrowing a friend's actual install disk and persuading MS to re-activate it because you used to own Windows is somewhat doubtful. You see, the original version was keyed to Dell, who paid MS peanuts for it. They may not be keen to allow you to use a full retail version on a Dell license. Good luck. I'd like to know the outcome though....

1. Restart your computer in safe mode.
2. Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then click OK.
3. Locate and then click the following registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\Intelppm
4. In the right pane, right-click the Start entry, and then click Modify.
5. In the Value data box, type 4, and then click OK.
6. Quit Registry Editor.
7. Restart your computer.

yea...

The drivers came on a DVD with the motherboard, they seemed to download no problem in safemode, but it still didnt work...
I dont really have the time (or patience) to sit on the phone with windows and argue for something they wont give me...
Just making sure I understand this correctly... The dell version of windows has licenses registered to the original dell motherboard that wont work with other motherboards... If that is right what about trying to upgrade to vista? will the upgrade ignore the licenses or am I better off with a new hdd and vista oem?

I'm trying to find the easiest/ most cost-effective answer to this....

The dell version of windows has licenses registered to the original dell motherboard that wont work with other motherboards... If that is right what about trying to upgrade to vista? will the upgrade ignore the licenses or am I better off with a new hdd and vista oem?

Vista is a collection of $£$£$ and I would not recommend it to my worst enemy. Remember Windows 98ME ? Same thing. It is expected to be replaced within less than two years, it contains a built-in bomb which can capriciously deactivate your PC, and that can be triggered by all manners of innocent things, and will, naturally, be a prime target for extortion-racket type attacks. It is not fully compatible with lots of hardware because it has never been fully and exhaustively tested, your random collection of hardware could turn out to be unusable.

My recommendation would be a retail copy of XP pro, and hurry up while you can still get 'em !

Not only re-activating, your real problem is the different hardware requires completely different drivers for XP.

This is the issue. The computer is BSOD'ing because the it's looking for the drivers of the old computer. When moving a Windows OS harddrive to a new computer, the only thing that can quickly work is a Repair install of XP. You won't loose and data. That should get you booted back to windows. After that you need to install the drivers for the new system.
Although, I always recommend a fresh install of the OS just so everything is clean and fast.

I misunderstood this thread.
I thought the user had already done a Repair, or clean install.

A registry fix cannot fix this issue.
The issue is caused by the Motherboard chipset to the CPU (not exactly drivers - ie removing all the drivers in Safe mode won't fix it)
It's the chipset (drivers, if you call them that)

Anyway, if you move an already Windows loaded HDD to another computer, you must at least do a Repair of Windows (ideally a clean install)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back