Changed mobo, can't access Windows, computer shuts down/hibernation

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll try to be as brief as possible.

I replaced a non-working mobo (D845GVSR) on an emachines pc with a mobo model D845GERG2

After booting the computer, when Windows got to the log in screen with the user names, it loaded in low resolution, I believe it was 600 x 480 and 256 colors. The computer would then shut down before I could even log in.

I tried doing a windows repair a couple of times with the Windows XP CD. This didn't help much, except now the computer went into hibernation instead of shutting down, still low resolution.
Also, when coming out of hibernation, I would get this error:
-----
STOP: 0x0000008E (0xC0000005, 0xF72457BF, 0xF7148010, 0x00000000)

ialmnt5.sys - Address F7245BF base at F723E000, DateStamp 3fbcf8f8

Beginning dump of physical memory
-----

What I did next was use a BartPE bootable CD, I accessed the i386 folder that was on the computer and ran winnt32.exe to repair windows xp again this time using windows oem which was in that folder.

Things went a bit better this time. The log in screen now displays in normal resolution and full color. However, it keeps going into hibernation as soon as the log in screen appears.
I no longer get blue screen errors when it comes out of hibernation. It just displays the log in screen and once again into hibernation.

I've been trying to fix this for about a week and I'm becoming very frustrated.
Please help me figure out how to fix this.

Thank you.

Possibly driver corruption.

Because you have repaired a couple of times, you could backup and re-install clean (format and remove partition too)

Otherwise, download all the updated drivers and try re-installing them

Thanks for the suggestions.

Reformatting and installing fresh will be my last option, I'm hoping I don't have to do that.

I have a ton of programs, it would a be a pain to reinstall everything to have it working like it did before the mobo failed.

I also suspect it might have something to do with the drivers.
While doing some research, I see that this or similar problem can be fixed with updated drivers.
The problem I have is that I can't access windows to install the updated drivers.
Is there a way to update the drivers when I can't access windows?

Another thing I was thinking about, (sorry if this sounds dumb, I don't know much about this). Could there be a virus in the bios that is causing this?

Turn on your computer
Once the computer boot sequence finishes (usually 3 to 5 secs)...
Repeatively press the F8 function key, on your keyboard
Select "Safe Mode"
Log on to your Administrator account
Go to Device Manager (start->run->devmgmt.msc)

Maximize the Device Manager window
If you see any yellow (or red) querried devices, please remove them (just right click on them)
Expand your Display device (+)
Right click on your Video adaptor, and remove (uninstall) it

Restart

LTD1 said:
Another thing I was thinking about, (sorry if this sounds dumb, I don't know much about this). Could there be a virus in the bios that is causing this?
Nope, those things have been pretty much extinct for years.

The problem is you switched motherboards without reinstalling. If a repair didn't work, you are probably screwed.

A couple other recent examples of people trying to switch motherboards and having problems:
https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic104859.html
https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic105797.html

You could try the following:
boot from your windows install CD and follow the install procedure for a new install until you get to the point where for the second time it offers an option to repair - accept this option and the routine will replace all the critical windows files and providing the structure is sound will present you with your system as it was before the board replacement. It does not always work but I have used it thousands of times and not lost the original contents of the hard drive.

Thank you all for your replies, after much trial and error, I think I sort of fixed and learned a few things, though I still need some help.

- I needed a new windows license as the original won't work with the new slightly different model mobo. I've had to upgrade to Windows XP Pro.

- Unactivated windows won't boot in safe mode if you choose an additional option such as safe mode with command prompt or with network support.
This was the reason I couldn't boot even in safe mode, I always tried to boot with network support, had to choose basic safe mode only.

The reason why it kept shutting down or going into hibernation turned out to be uninterruptible power supply service. I simply disabled that and the problem went away.

I still have some issues and need some help.
My main issue at the moment is I can't log on using my old user profile, well I can sort of, but access to everything under my username is denied..
So far I've had to use another log on to perform all tasks.

When I try to log on using my old regular user name I get this message:
---------------
Windows cannot load the user profile but has logged you on with the default profile for the system
---------------

Access is denied to the desktop an all documents/files under my profile.

How can I fix this?

I think this might have been caused becaused when the old mobo failed, I removed the hard drive and put it in a USB enclosure to get access to some files I needed through my laptop.
Access to those files was originally denied. It was suggested I take ownership of that folder and so I did.
I asked if by taking ownership of that folder I would be able to just put back the hard drive and have access as normal once I fixed the computer, I was told yes. But now it appears that's not the case.

So you had UPS ? Anyway that part's resolved.

The general theme of all reply posts in this thread (including my own) is to backup and either fully Repair, or ideally (ie do this one) Install Windows again, clean.

Since you have worked out how to take ownership, then backup first.
And install Windows (this is a repeat !)

Hi, yes, I have a UPS. It was originally connected via serial port. I had not plugged in yet since I was trying to only use basic components while everything was fixed. I didn't think about that being the reason.

I have done a full backup before and after changing the mobo.
I also have done full windows repairs a few times. This actually would not have been necessary if I had been able to use the same OEM copy of Windows and been able to activate it. All that was needed really was to install the new drivers.

So to solve the problem of not being able to log on using my old username, if I understand correctly, I need to take ownership again, correct?
And to do this, I would log on with that username and then take ownership of the folder with my name under 'Documents and Settings', right?

Thanks again.

Yes

Right click folder, Properties, Security, Permissions, Allow

You may need to do this in Safe mode, and also under an Administrator account.

Hi, I have taken back ownership of the folder under Documents and Settings corresponding to my user name.
I have access again to all my files; however, I still this error:
---------------
Windows cannot load the user profile but has logged you on with the default profile for the system
---------------

What else do I need to do to fix this error?

Thank you.

Another question, the computer seems to run very slow.

It has a pentium 4 2.4Ghz and 1 GB of RAM.
Before I replaced the board, it had a celeron D 2.53Mhz and it ran much, much faster.

Isn't the 2.4Ghz P4 supposed to be faster than a 2.53Ghz celeron D ?

You'd be better off reinstalling Windows than going through all this trouble. Your installation's HAL is probably messed up and you're not going to be able to rid yourself of all the problems you're now facing unless you do a clean install.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back