TechSpot

New PSU

By Alster37
Sep 4, 2010
Post New Reply
  1. Im looking for a new power supply since I don't think my systems stable with 6 fans and a h50 pump turned on. So I like a mainstream psu with plenty of 'A' on the 12v. My current psu has 25A and is 800watts. price isn't really a concern as im not purchasing it until a few months.

any recommendations?
  2. JMMD

JMMD TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,177

3. dividebyzero

dividebyzero trainee n00b Posts: 4,849   +679

With your system specs, a good 650w would be ample, even if you overclocked CPU and card to the limit. The Corsair unit JMMD linked to offers a good degree of future-proofing, but if you don't plan on any heavy graphics upgrade.
    The 650w version (52A on single 12v rail) of the 850w linked in the above post.

As a point of interest, the H50 cooler would draw less than 1A, even if using two fans in push-pull configuration on the radiator. Virtually all 120x25mm fans are less than 0.2A - fairly negligable, and the pump itelf uses barely any more currant.
  4. hellokitty[hk]

hellokitty[hk] Hello, nice to meet you! Posts: 4,367   +125

Corsair 550w would be fine too...actually, the one you currently have should be fine too, however, it looks like a low quality powersupply based on what you've told us, so you might want to get the corsair anyway.
  5. Alster37

Alster37 TS Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 324

6. dividebyzero

The TX850 is a nice unit, although it's still overkill with an HD 5870 ( "usual" gaming load ~150w , max load ~210-215w). If you're planning on Crossfire in the future then the 850 might get a workout.
  7. Alster37

I doubt Id be able to get 2 cards in any amount of time. so for a single 5870 a 650 watt corsair?
  8. dividebyzero

Personally I would think that you wouldn't be taxing a good 650 like the Corsair to hard, but finding a well constructed, long warranty PSU with good connectivity with any less wattage might not give you very many options. AMD recommend a 600w unit, and even though that takes into account the number of sub-standard "600w" units (i.e. probably <500w actual) I would probably view that as a good starting point.
    If your budget can stretch to the 850, then by all means bear it in mind, the unit represents a solid investment and is a very good PSU. It just seems a little overpowered for your intended usage.
  9. Rage_3K_Moiz

Rage_3K_Moiz Sith Lord Posts: 7,286   +24

I recommend going with a high-efficiency (80 Plus Bronze minimum; 80 Plus Silver recommended) 600W+ unit. I suggest going with any of the models on this page, although my personal recommendations would be the Seasonic SS-750HT and the XFX 750W PSU.
  10. Alster37

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.