New rugged desktop touts built-in monitors, server hardware

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

NextComputing has unveiled a new rugged mobile PC designed to run high-end software in "deployed environments" such as military and homeland security operations. "These customers can now run mission-critical applications on a 'stand-alone,' transportable workstation/server platform, optimized for size, weight, and power (SWaP)," the company said. NextComputing boasts further that, even with up to three built-in displays, the machine is smaller, lighter and less power hungry than a rackmount or tower system with the same performance.

The Vigor Evo Plus starts at 35lbs and features a mil-anodized, shock-mounted chassis that houses one or two Intel Xeon processors, up to 16GB of ECC RAM, 11TB of storage, and six full-size PCI Express and PCI-X slots. Units come standard with a single 17-inch HD monitor, but you can get a second or third "swing-out" display for panoramic views -- or no screen at all for that matter. Systems are currently available direct from NextComputing, but the company requires you to call (603-886-3874) or email (sales@nextcomputing.com) for a quote.

Permalink to story.

I've got 1 of these in my basement, though it has a much smaller monochrome screen, has 2x 5.25" floppy drives, and it was made in 1985. It's an old Compaq Portable 101709, and I got it for free from the salvation army. The neat thing, is that it still works.

Wow, "SWaP" huh? That's like trying to remember what, "U.N.C.L.E." stood for. in the, "Man from U.N.C.L.E."...!

The government has had similar if not better equipment for years. No news here.

Back