TechSpot

New rugged desktop touts built-in monitors, server hardware

By Matthew
Oct 14, 2010
Post New Reply
  1. NextComputing has unveiled a new rugged mobile PC designed to run high-end software in "deployed environments" such as military and homeland security operations. "These customers can now run mission-critical applications on a 'stand-alone,' transportable workstation/server platform, optimized for size, weight, and power (SWaP)," the company said. NextComputing boasts further that, even with up to three built-in displays, the machine is smaller, lighter and less power hungry than a rackmount or tower system with the same performance.

Read the whole story

2. Wendig0

Wendig0 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,078   +76

I've got 1 of these in my basement, though it has a much smaller monochrome screen, has 2x 5.25" floppy drives, and it was made in 1985. It's an old Compaq Portable 101709, and I got it for free from the salvation army. The neat thing, is that it still works.

3. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 10,977   +957

Wow, "SWaP" huh? That's like trying to remember what, "U.N.C.L.E." stood for. in the, "Man from U.N.C.L.E."...!

4. The government has had similar if not better equipment for years. No news here.

5. gwailo247

gwailo247 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,105   +18

But now YOU can buy it at Pentagon prices...

6. eyy, can it run age of empires 2?

7. more importantly, will it run crysis 2?

8. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 10,977   +957

It looks intimidating, isn't that really all that matters?

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.